Coworkers just used pesticide 50 ft away from my lovebirds

christine

Sep 9, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Parrots
2 Lovebirds: 1 male A. r. roseicollis (Whitefaced Violet Mutation) & 1 female A. r. roseicollis (Green Mutation?)
Rough morning.

I came to vent and ask for advice.

I have two lovebirds, I bring them into work M-F and have spoken to my coworkers about chemicals & parrots and have switched out all chemicals in the office to natural/non-toxic alternatives. Everyone seemed to be happy with the switch. Last week I did not bring them in because we had a cockroach problem and I was told not to because they would be spraying and cleaning the kitchen to get rid of them.

Today is Monday, supposedly this cockroach cleanup was complete. I came in and brought my birds in per usual. An hour later I heard fans going, I got up to check it out to find out they had just resprayed again.

I hurried and grabbed my birds and brought them home. They seem okay, but it was very stressful. I am worried that I will come home after work to find dead or sick birds from their morning pesticide exposure.

I came back to the office & discussed this with my coworkers, they had thought I knew they would be spraying more and the front door was wide open so "the birds would be fine."

I explained to them, why would I remove all aerosol room deodorizers to replace them with vodka, water, and essential oil sprays, remove the White Board markers to replace them with non-toxic versions, and remove all cleaning products to replace with lemon oil wood polishers, and vinegar & water mixtures? Why would I do all this and knowingly leave them in a room with pesticides? I told them that they could have killed them!:mad:

They proceeded to call the company Ortho regarding their product (Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer For Indoor & Perimeter) and ask if it was safe for birds and the company said yes. I dont believe Ortho. The active ingredients are Bifenthrin & Zeta-Cypermethrin. Zeta-Cypermethrin is one of the most powerful pesticides out there according to some articles I found.

First off--HUFF. I may not be able to bring the birds to the office anymore if people cant respect them. Bummer because people bring their dogs and I wouldn't risk their health.

Second off--I cannot find any specific studies done on Zeta-Cypermethrinor or Bifenthrin and parrots, but that doesnt mean its harmless. Can you guys help me find some proof on the dangers of pesticides & parrots?

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
When they sprayed my home (just an annual thing they do to be sure even though we had no pests) I was told by the company (can't remember the name) the following:

An adult can't be in the room (our house) for four hours (and we leave everything but the doors open). When we came back we left for another 3 hours because it still kind of smelled.

A baby shouldn't be allowed back in for at least 24 hours.

Pets shouldn't be allowed back in for at least 48 hours. (We played it safe and waited a week)

Since the damage is already done, I'd just give them a good shower and clean their cage up thoroughly. From there keep checking up on them and try not to panic around them. :)

ETA: I hate to say this, but I wouldn't take them back to work as it seems that some of your co workers don't understand how delicate these little guys are.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sammy gave you some good info, but you can go online & download (or should be able to), the MSDS for each of those products & that should give you enough information to work with.....

I can empathize with your position, but if I was the supervisor, I might be inclined to point out that while we try to accommodate everyone, it is up to the person with sensitive animals to make any necessary additional accommodations, but that we will start posting pesticide spray dates at least two weeks in advance.....

I don't know what kind of notice you get relevant to pest control services, but I used to do termite damage remediation for Orkin & technicians were usually paid for spraying, not waiting or riding around, so when they couldn't service an earlier scheduled account, the would jump to the next in line, whether it was a day or two early.....if you can exercise any control over advance/off schedule servicing, that might help prevent future mis-communications.....

Good luck.....

FeathersandDrums

Sep 17, 2013
Missouri
Parrots
3 Budgies- Whimsy, Owl, & Waker
1 Rosie Bourke Parakeet- Birkenstock (Birkie)
I would be afraid to take them to work anymore </3
I don't even like my husband to be awake in my house without me home and awake myself because even though I remind him all the time what not to do because of the birds I don't feel like he takes it seriously, he thinks I am over protective.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Your birds are probably fine but i would probably look up the MSDS too and read it over. People don't always think about pets, people with sensitivities, etc, so that can be rough. I actually sprayed an Ortho product in my attic this year (outside, around my house and in the attic). I left all the windows open in the attic and closed the door to the house. We were all fine.

Most Reactions