(DALLAS TX) Very dire & urgent need of new home for budgies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
(This is probably going to be long, sorry.)

Hello. I am sad to say that my joining here is for help in a currently grave effort to rehome our 3 budgies. We are no longer able to care for them properly, and they are not doing well with us anymore. My husband had to get a work-at-home job after losing his job back in February and he has to be on the phone all day. The budgies are too loud (naturally, not blaming them) so we have to constantly relocate them to quieter places in the apartment that aren't very fair to them. I also may be expecting our first child, which will also make taking care of them and keeping them a very stressful task.

We do not have a car, so our options for rehoming them have been terribly limited. The closest place to us (which, really, isn't close -- We would need to find a friend to drive us there) wants us to pay them 50 dollars (which we don't have sadly) just to put an ad up for them, and even then we still must keep them until we hear something back, if we hear anything back at all. I've only been able to put out an ad at one website, which I have gotten replies from, but none of the people who had replied seemed to have read the "lives in Dallas, TX" part and contacted me all the way from Houston. My only other option is to talk to the pet store we got them from and [beg] ask them if they can take them back. I do NOT want to do that. I do care for these birds and want them to go to a great home who will care for them and where I (hopefully) don't need to have their possible neglectful deaths on my conscience. I am, of course, staying away from websites like craigslist. I won't go to that site for anything, to be honest.

So, my efforts have been very fruitless. My husband is getting very frustrated with them and I am guilt ridden (to the point of tears) by their improper care and our short fuses with them.

About the budgies, there are 3. Two males (1 blue, 1 white), and 1 female (green/yellow). The female is in a cage of her own and the other 2 males are usually housed together. They are friendly towards humans, though timid and a little stressed when handled because we cannot handle them much anymore so they are not used to it as much as they could be. They will perch on your fingers and shoulder, (sometimes) eat from out of your hand, let you give them little pets with your finger, and we have been able to hand bathe them. They have good energy and seem healthy. They are probably mid-aged, not seniors but not young'ens.

So, this is a desperate call out for help. All I want to do is give these birds a better home and it's going nowhere fast. :'(

If anyone is able to take them in, they would need to be picked up from my apartment here in Dallas (75254 area code) due to us inconveniently not owning a car. We cannot take them on public transportation (for probably obvious reasons). They can/will come with their cages and whatever toys, food, and treats they have. I am not going to charge a fee in efforts to allow easier convenience for driving to us. If you (the current reader of this post) cannot help, please help spread the word if you can. I don't have a lot of ties to anyone or anything, and we have no friends or family nearby that could/want to take them in. I tried joining some Texas groups on Facebook but my invitations have not been accepted.

I apologize for the long post, I just want to make sure that it's obvious I care for our birds (as I do any animal/pet of mine) and that we aren't just lazy pet owners or irresponsible ones. We've had our oldest budgie for almost 3 years, if that says anything. We've just fallen on incredibly hard times and can no longer provide them the loving and healthy home they deserve.

Thank you so much for reading this, for your understanding, spreading the word, and/or helping us out. I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I am sorry you are having to do this. Hang in there . We have a lot of people in the Texas area. Hopefully one will come on that can help you

OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
Christinenc2000 - Hi, thanks for the reply! Yes, it's been very hard to deal with. I am happy to hear that there are people in Texas on here, so I also hope one of them can reach out to help us. :)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
In my opinion it is a very unselfish thing you are doing. A lot try to hang on ....... and the end results are not good. Trust me If I were closer I would be on the way to your house.

Do you have any pictures ? I would love to see them

OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
Thank you for that. I do have a good picture of all 3 together. Here you go:

15q8ac7.jpg

OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
Yes, they are very cute. The blue one is the dearest to me. I hope that whomever can take them will keep me updated on their lives once they go to the new home. I certainly hope I won't have any trouble finding them a new home. I hate making them suffer like this. I don't want to set their cages outside due to the Texas summer heat and the fact that since our apartment building is made of wood there are red wasps EVERYWHERE. I am so afraid a wasp will harm them. I don't want any harm to come to them, which is why I posted here.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
To any members who are interested in these birds, please message any moderator and we'll be happy to provide you with the OP's email address. :)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Well give it time. It is still kinda early so a lot will be on later during the day.

You are new here so can't use mail. Our Mods are good at working with you to relay mail between new members and people trying to contact them. So just relax and I am sure someone will help

If you can't find help here maybe the local rescue will come pick them up from you. It would not hurt to call and ask

OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
I understand :)

Sadly, we are unbelievably limited on avian rescues near us, hence my posting here. Other than that bird shop that wishes for money just for their assitance, the closest bird sanctuary I saw was in Red Oak, TX which is...not very close lol. I have pretty much exhausted most of my options on re-homing them. :(

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
If I were closer I would gladly pick them up. Have you considered Craigslist? If you do I would ask lots of questions and be picky as to who gets them. I would also at least list a rehoming fee.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
I had mentioned in my long spew of a paragraph that I am staying away from websites like craigslist. I simply do not trust it, even with finickiness and fees. I know for some people they've had success with it, but I am really trying hard to avoid it if I can.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I have adopted birds off craigslist and actually find no problems listing there. You may want to meet a block away and walk with the birds but you need them rehomed and it's def an option

OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
Well, if I don't have luck here or on my other ads, I might not have a choice. :(
I would really like to avoid it if I could, though.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Craigslist has become very popular and police will allow their stations to be meeting points.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I am so sorry for your predicament :(. Those are 3 very nice looking birds for sure, and someone would be happy to have them.

I have some connections and I will see what I can do to help place your beautiful budgies if you'd be patient just a bit longer. Hang in there, I realize it's a daily struggle. If I find any prospective new owners for you, I will PM you.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Your birds look very well taken care of.. Please don't beat yourself up. I completely understand how you feel. I vacillated for months about rehoming my sennie, Rio. Just ask the kind people on here. I came here first, and received lots of encouragement. I was finally brave enough to do it, when the timing was right. About 2 weeks ago, I found a nice lady who already had a poi (red bellied) who always wanted a sennie, but got the red belly because there weren't any sennies available. I cried a lot, the lady cried too because she felt my pain, and I am still crying, but I know deep in my heart I did the right thing. Rio has a wonderful home with another poi to keep her company. Its very quiet in my home. I still have my lil Kiwi (parrotlet), she is pretty quiet, but the quiet can be deafening sometimes. Anyway, just take it one day at a time. You came to the right place on here, and if there are any bird stores in your area, maybe they would let you relinquish them to them?? I don't know just an option. Sorry your going through this.

Wendy

OP
F

Fuwante

Jun 20, 2015
Thank you all for your replies and further assistance. I hope that you understand why I am staying away from craigslist. We don't have any police stations near us, and I had mentioned in my post that we do not own a car, so we won't be able to get to one. I thought it would be better for me to reach out to a place like here first, where I can guarantee that you all are for certain responsible and caring owners.

I had also mentioned that I have searched for bird shops around me. There is only one that is close but not really close at the same time, so we would need to hope that the one friend we have near us could drive us to it. I had mentioned that while they might be able to help with rehoming, they want us to pay them 50 dollars to even so much as place an ad that we don't have due to living paycheck-to-paycheck from my husband having to find a lesser paying job from losing his other job in February. I'm not sure they'll just let us relinquish them without paying them some kind of money.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts