Dawns new parrot

DLR74

Feb 7, 2014
Staffordshire, England
Parrots
Indian ringneck named milly
Hi I've just acquired a ringneck parrot named milly, the old owner says she is 5months old but I'm not really sure as for some reason she has either pulled out her tail or lost her tail somehow and she is very very scared she will not even let you near the cage, my questions are if anybody can help are why do you think she may have no tail and how long do I leave her in the cage before trying to train her, also she keeps constantly pacing up and down the perch, she eats and drinks fine and I've put loads of toys in her cage, please can someone advise me thanks.

Hi Dawn and welcome!
I think Milly just needs some time to settle into her new surroundings. It will help if you sit by her cage and quietly talk to her, or even read to her. Let her get used to you. As far as her tail goes, the feathers may have just broken off as baby feathers are not as strong as adult feathers. My conure came to me with only a couple of tail feathers, and they were broken. She should get them back when she moults.

Thanks for the reply, any ideas why she would keep constantly pacing up and down her perch? Do you think it may be because she wants to come out as she keeps lifting one of the doors on the cage, thanks dawn

How long have you had her? Did her previous owner say she was tame? Is it the same cage? Personally myself, if she's already been someone's pet and was tame, I would let her out. Draw the blinds so she doesn't smash into a window (but make sure the lights are on). If you e only had her for a day or 2 don't expect miracles...but then again she could bond to you immediately.

Hi thanks for reply, I've had her for a week she wasn't tame before but I don't know if she has been frightened by children and that's why she has no tail as the lady had small kids, she's in same cage but like I said aswell I'm not really sure if she is only 5 months, I am assuming she is a girl as she has a numbered black ring around her leg, do you really think she is tameable? She is so lovely I just want to have her in my family, although it's really funny as I have a border collie and she will go to the bottom of the cage when he is there

She's young enough to try to tame down so yes she is tamable! It would just take you a lot of time and patience to earn her trust. The lady's kids was probably grabbing at the tail pulling them off, maybe that's why she's forced to give up on the bird.

With a really scared bird I would slowly work with them after they settled down. Just do it on a daily basis, multiple times a day. Also you can look up target training as that can be helpful as well!!!

Just to let you know milly just took pieces of Apple from my hand so I think I must be starting to gain her trust :greenyellow

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back