Did she swallow the paper

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I will occasionally offer my birds paper to shred. My Quaker loves to shred it and I can clearly see her drop the pieces.

However my Sun will break a tiny piece and move it around in her mouth and then I donā€™t see it.

I managed to take a video. I would hope she expelled it but I just donā€™t know. If she did swallow it then I know she has done this before like when I catch her pulling the cage liners through the grate.

Doesnā€™t she know not to eat paper ?

Link to video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr8l1189wgxf97a/IMG_9693.MOV?dl=0

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I donā€™t thin it matters if she ate a little bit of paper. I bet birds eat lots of husks and grasses when theyā€™re outside trying to find food. She would have to eat a LOT of paper to get plugged up in some way.

Iris227

Jun 1, 2022
Parrots
Mango - male opaline redhead lovebird; Frosty - male opaline blue whiteheaded lovebird; Muffin - wild green budgie; Cookie - lutino budgie
Hello!

Sometimes this happens with my birds. I think that generally it is ok if they swallow a little bit of paper, it just acts as a filler. A little bit is fine. But I see your bird has a lot of it, and paper can cause blockages in their digestive track. If your bird swallowed a large piece of paper, I's reccomend you go to the vet. But jsut to ensure, you didn't see a piece of paper underneath your bird that it might have spit out..?

EDIT: Didn't notce it was a video. That's a little bit of paper; most likely nothing to be worried about.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I watched that video and if the conure consumed ANY of that paper, it was only a tiny piece. She dropped the big crumpled piece of paper at the end.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Paper is a highly processed item and making big pieces into smaller bits is very common. Eating Paper is not common and yes, it quickly comes down to how much! An occasional bit, as stated above, is not of great concern. Having your Parrot eat even tiny bits regularly is concerning as it both supplants the in take real food and there is a slow build-up of non-natural chemicals. As commented on above, an Avian Vet visit has merit, if it includes an Xray to determine if a build-up is occurring.

Although, at this point, it is likely not a problem, it would be worthy to move your Parrot away from paper and over to very soft wood bits.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Ive had my Budgies swallow little bits of paper while they were foraging in their foraging baskets originally i freaked out then i did some research in small amount its fine Not very likely to cause harm also ur fluffy little sunny is aweeeefully cute!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Itā€™s amazing how interested girl birds are in paper and how they will find it to shred and chew. I had to make sure my girls couldnā€™t reach the paper through the grate or theyā€™d tear it up and get clucky and broody.

It is easier now that I have boy birds and they donā€™t seems so focused on finding paper to shred.

Most Reactions

Latest posts