dissapointment but understandable...

cgsouljah

Feb 13, 2014
oahu, hawaii
As a few of you know, my wife and i recently adopted our new addition to our family from a breeder in ohio...well, unfortunately due to hawaii's strict import laws, we had to call off the deal :( the 7 day isolation followed by an almost 24 hour flight would have been too stressful on the little guy.

Fortunately my wife and i found a breeder on another island with five, 2 week old babies, for 500 a pop. So we decided to do it! its going to be hard...my wife is going to quit her job(a long time coming...trust me) and she is going to become a full time bird mama! we have never raised a hatch-ling before, and i know its difficult...but with the help of all of you, youtube, countless hours researching, and local experts, we are completely confident we can tackle the task! Its still going to be a couple weeks untill we are going to be ready to take him home, but i just wanted to share the news with all of you!

thanks for reading!:greenyellow:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Eclectus babies is one of the harder to feed babies, especially for a novice!!!! That is one I will not suggest anyone to get as an unweaned baby.

Personally I don't agree with breeders or whomever to sell an unweaned baby to anyone, especially to a novice.

OP
C

cgsouljah

Feb 13, 2014
oahu, hawaii
We have been reading ALOT about it tonight...especially about all the dangers involved, and the possablity of permanent damage to the baby! We are going to pass on this one *sigh* the search continues. Thanks for the input Mikey...someone knowledgable telling me that's makes me feel better about our decision.

OP
C

cgsouljah

Feb 13, 2014
oahu, hawaii
Thanks brother, but we called the first one and a woman answered saying she has been getting calls for a parrot for sale for years, so its possible its a scam... and the second one we already met with and are looking to buy from somebody else... We might have found another secret breeder we are going to feel out.
All of the local breeders have been amazingly kind and helpful in advice and giving us leads to follow.

It will happen for us...I will share as soon as it does :) I'm excited to be a part of this community

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
And we're pleased to have you in our community!!!! :)

Please do let us know once you find that one special baby!!!

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
Maybe get in contact with this guy?
Buy A Bird

"We maintain relationships with several of the Island's top breeders and can assist you in locating the type of bird you are seeking."
Maybe he can point you in the right direction?

Website was last updated in 2011 though, but hopefully it's still relevant.

OP
C

cgsouljah

Feb 13, 2014
oahu, hawaii
Maybe get in contact with this guy?
Buy A Bird

"We maintain relationships with several of the Island's top breeders and can assist you in locating the type of bird you are seeking."
Maybe he can point you in the right direction?
!
Website was last updated in 2011 though, but hopefully it's still relevant.

Thanks skylala but he is the same guy as post number two that I mentioned... he's a really great guy and I would not like to say anything negitive about him...we just disagree with some of his methods. He also told me eclectuses have no personalities!
I appreciate your time looking into this for me though!

Last edited:

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
I see!
Have you tried this website yet?

Sweet Leilani Aviaries - Hawaii Parrot Breeder

Also I found these on a website with different breeders and these were listed under Hawaii. However the original website itself wasn't updated since 2009, but perhaps still worth an email to enquire?

Birds of Paradise Aviaries - ships
Hawaii's leading breeder of tame, handfed baby parrots. Over 30 species.
Over 15 years in aviculture, we currently breed Hawk-heads, Cockatoos, Eclectus, Macaws (incl. Hyacinths), Greys, Pionus, Amazons, Poicephalus and Conures. We offer a complete health guarantee in writing. We have contacts with other respected breeders and can find almost any species you want! Email: [email protected]

Island Forest Ranch & Aviary - ships
Handraised Macaws, Cockatoos, Eclectus and Miniature Pot-bellied Pigs
We have over 25 years experience in handraising exotic parrots. We also are professional animal trainers and can assist our clients with any questions. Our youngsters are brought into our home and raised gently for you. Our young parrots are DNA-screened for PBFD, Polyomavirus and gender . Email: [email protected]. Waimanalo, HI

Wind Walker Hawaii - ships
Beautiful hand fed baby parrots raised in our home.
Our family environment ensures proper socialization for the sweetest babies possible. We raise: Hawk Headed Parrots, African Greys, Cockatoos (Umbrellas, Moluccans, Goffins, Supphur Crested), Conures and Eclectus parrots. We also have (Red) Suns Our babies are health guaranteed.Contact Hope Ph: (808)-966-6610 Em: [email protected]

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Very wise choice to pass on this one. I always try to steer people away from buying an unweaned bird. If nothing else, the fact that there are no warranties given or supported by local laws on any unweaned animal. Which means YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN and is like an "AS IS SALE". So if something happens to the bird you lose your money.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Unfortunately there are lots of people that think eclectus are dull or without personality because they don't get as wound up as say cockatoos or amazons. Most of the time in new situations they will stand stock still observing everything and looking like beautiful lifeless statues. But with socializing and encouragement to play they have loads of personality. One of my girls can kill a toy with the same enthusiasm as any amazon!
I am also glad you opted to pass on the un-weaned one, I have fed and weaned everything from conures to macaws and eclectus really can be one of the most difficult. Good luck with your search I am sure the right baby will come along!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
And some people are just idiots and clueless. There's no such thing as a "dull" parrot from budgie to macaw. They are all wonderful and exciting in their own way.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for the bird you wanted at first. I think you are making all the right decisions, and when the perfect one comes along, he will be a very lucky bird to be loved by you;)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Unfortunately there are lots of people that think eclectus are dull or without personality because they don't get as wound up as....

The Pionus have the same reputation. It's all in what characteristics you want in a pet, and what fits with your own personality and lifestyle.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I once read from someone else in Hawaii, that HI doesn't have a really wide variety of different species. That really surprised me since it is a tropical environment, and you just automatically think PARROTS! Is it the lack of land space? I know it's a pain getting an exotic pet from the mainland.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Eclectus just shows their personality different then other parrots and that's what makes them special!!!! I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Mine says the darnest things at the right time and they're both super sweet and will venture on the floor looking for me. They don't like their cage being messed with as they won't let me clean in peace. Both are full of spunk and sweetness. Who says they're dull....

OP
C

cgsouljah

Feb 13, 2014
oahu, hawaii
thank you everybody! yes i am glad i did pass, and i did end up finding a forever friend from that "secret" breeder i was lead to!

Kalona

Nov 9, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Ruby - Female Eclectus
Congratulations!! Can't wait to hear the details about your new Forever Friend and see pics as well!

Most Reactions