Do old parrots talk?

ordenrahl

Nov 9, 2006
VT
Parrots
Lucky, a 10 year old Eclectus
There is a possibility that I will be the happy parront of a 10-year-old male Eclectus in the next few weeks. The Eclectus is reported to be very sweet but doesn’t talk or whistle much. Is talking out of the window for him? The home he is coming from is very crowded and he doesn’t get a lot of attention. I’m hoping that with lots of out of cage time and someone paying lots of attention to him he’ll come around.

What do you think?

John.

toxinsmile

Nov 5, 2006
Regina Saskatchewan Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey
lot's will tell you no...but when i worked at a pet store we were given an Amazon that was 14 years old and we were told never did anything but screamed, after he got used to his suroundings and started to enjoy his new home he stopped screaming and started to pick up on noises around the shop. the cash register, dogs barking stuff like that....i would say there might be hope :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi John and welcome to Parrot Forums

All hookbills have the ability to talk no matter what their age.

The home he is coming from is very crowded and he doesn’t get a lot of attention.

I think theres the problem right there. With lots of patience, time and love you'll see a totally different bird.

Geys are known to be one of the better talkers and believe me mine does, but a friend of mine has had her Grey for 20+ years now and has never said a word, but he'll whistle any tune you can imagine. My point is that a lot will depend on the bird itself. He may never say a word, or he may talk up a storm, but if you have a happy healty bird what does a few words matter? I'm sure that when he is settled with you and is getting the attention he will be a totally different bird. Good Luck to you. Please let us know how you get on and maybe once he is with you we can see some pics. We do love pics here. :D

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Hi John and welcome! I am a proud parront of a four month old SIE (solomon island eclectus). You did mention that this eclectus was talking and whistling a bit which means he is a talker.

If he settles in with you and you give the neccesary attention needed for him, he will surely learn to trust you and maybe immitate some of the words he will be learning from you.

But as said by Peta, he might never make a peep again, because after 10 years in the same place with the same routine and handler, it will be a great deal for him. But with much patience and love you will definitely win him over. In the end it is his health and happiness that matters, and he will reward you with his all!

Keep us posted, i'm a ekkie fan and would love to help where you need advise!:04:

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
It will take time for him to trust you but once you gain that trust and he settles in a bit he may begin to say a few words and mimic some sounds. Good luck ok:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi John welcome to a fantastic forum. :)
Sure some birds never talk as some never whistle.
Love and devotion go a long way.
Spend time getting to know the bird, talking and bonding.
A suggestion, in the beginning say only one or two words.
It can take a bird years to talk, some extremely quicker.
Hopefully, he will come around and start talking.
Good luck and enjoy :D
Keep us posted

adbird

Jan 3, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
Yes, age does not make a difference at all. With training anything is possible. Simple as that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts