Does your bird purposely poop on their lesser favored person?

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Pepper is showing her colors and strongly favoring me over my husband.
She has never pooped on me, just when I set her down and tell her to poop she does.
She has purposely squeezed out little poops three times on my husband, eve though he tells her to poop before he picks her up and sets her to perch and poo regularly. He is trying so hard to win her over but he feels rather rejected and it seems she is passively aggressively trying to get him to bring her out here to me by pooping on him. She doesn't show any outward signs of aggression, just tries to avoid him when he goes to pick her up from the cage and glances towards the door where she nows I am.

It's sorta hilarious. I do feel bad for my husband though!:rolleyes:

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Haha poor guy! ;) I haven't really noticed any of my fids purposfully popping on anyone, but they do never poop on me. Unless they are on my hand, and my foot comes forward when I'm walking and it happens to land on that foot. Happens more than you'd think, honestly. But let's say I'm laying down and they're chilling on my stomach, no poop.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Scooter self potty-trained by realizing he got taken off me (so I could clean up) when he did. I suspect they make that correlation fairly quickly if so inclined. I don't know that it's a deliberate diss exactly, but it might be more of a "I don't mind if you put me down now". OTOH, our other two birds aren't really potty trained and I tend not to notice when they poop -- they eat less fresh food and their poop is drier. So they do poop on me, even though I'm the favored person for all three (poor hubby who got me into birds in the first place!)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Although Boomer is 'semi' trained to poop on his poop perch, I can relate to Pooka. This seems to be what Boomer is doing too. He'd poop on my partner so he can get on my shoulder or back to his cage. I swear it's on purpose because the pooping would be 2-5 mins apart and it takes him 10-15 mins normally.

He doesn't do it all the time but enough for us to notice a pattern. It's manipulation by poop. Funny!

Last edited:

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
LOL.......what a topic

all our birds are equal opportunity poopers!! Of course the Zon's poop on the wife more than me cause they spend more time on her. :D

(so there IS an upside to the Zon's loving her more!!!) :D

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
my girl never poops on the family, but she has pooped o the vet. She also always aims to poop on our cat if they are near one another outside. Just yeaterday she was on my arm on my porch and the cat walked up and Ruby moved down my arm to aim at the cat. She hit the cat and the cat left the porch. She definately seems to know what she is doing to the poor cat. The cat has never even paid Ruby any attention at all.

OP
Pookamama

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Boysmom, that is hilarious about the cat!!!
Pepper still has not pooped on me, she has pooped on Kyle many many times. Like BoomBoom, she goes more frequently on him while on me she just holds it. The only time she has pooped while I've held her is when I tried to bring her into the water in the shower-she just was scared.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
It was a pleasant surprise to find out that parrots come semi toilet trained! They definately have the knack of pooping whenever they're somewhere they'd rather not be.

Birdy will only poop on me if I don't give him the opportunity to get off me, or at least move over and hang off my arm. It happens when he's on me for extended periods of time.
But in all fairness, three poops on my shoulder over a 5 hour period is not a bad result considering he's not really been potty trained.

As for pooping on other people, he's never on them for long enough for it to really happen.

OP
Pookamama

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
She is loving Kyle, though, otherwise. She gives him kisses and lets him give her scritches. They spend lots of time together.

OP
Pookamama

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
That is hilarious!!! I am glad we aren't alone with the manipulative pooping parrot!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I've always noticed the opposite. Puck, and my friend's bird, both poop(ed) when they were more relaxed. My friend's cockatiel will fly on to his shoulder and poop on him. She is a one person bird. I think Puck would sometimes go for hours without pooping when nobody was home, and save it for when I got home, because he'd do a GIANT one first thing in the morning, and first thing when I got home.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin pretty much always flies to me (when he's with my other half) to do a poop. If he randomly flies over to me, then I anticipate a poop.

So yes, I suppose so. :p

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
My GCC poops on my fiancé waaayyyyyy more then me. It’s actually starting to really bother him and he thinks it’s intentional. I’m not totally convinced but I came to this forum curious to see what others experience. My biggest theory is that I just pay more attention to Mojito when he is on me and know the signs when he is needing to go poopy. My fiancé is also much taller/larger then me so maybe just a lot more surface area for poops to land? Mojito is my bird and I think it’s safe to say he favors me more but he also has really bonded with my fiancé too and loves to hang out with him so I just don’t know either.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is an old thread but yes.
Bella my CAG never poops on my wife.
she does on My son and I.
she knows the word and what it means.
I will say she doesn’t poop when she is with me in the shower.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. My Quakers have always tried to keep their cage clean by pooping OUT of it. And Lucy would hold it and hold it if I was holding her until she erupted. So embarrassing.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
This is an old thread but yes.
Bella my CAG never poops on my wife.
she does on My son and I.
she knows the word and what it means.
I will say she doesn’t poop when she is with me in the shower.
Haha, my two are polar opposites when it comes to the shower. Tucker will NOT poop in the shower, or afterwards while he's hanging out there drying. As soon as I take him to the cage... Bombs away! Baxter, well, when the shower starts, she sits on the perch looking bored or annoyed,, UNTIL she drops a massive load. As soon as that's done, she's all into bathing, climbs down and hangs upside down, wings out, for maximum soakage 🤣

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
most of mine try not to poop on me. Except Penny who gets a laugh out of pooping on me and trys to do all out of Cage poops on me ! Flys to poop on me then flys away! She always looks smug when she poops on me!

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Mine poops whenever wherever. usually before and after a quick flight. Always poops on my shoulder or hand, at least once after landing on my head. I call him Poopsey! and clean up.

Most Reactions