Don't feed... What?!?

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Um, so I was looking up caique behavior (there was this adorable one at petco who if I could take home and cuddle I'd do it in a heartbeat). Well I came to this site and read this page :
Caique Diet and Care

Well, in the bottom paragraph it says this :
"As with all birds, do not feed Nanday Conures, avocados, chocolate, coffee or salt."

Umm, did it just tell me not to feed Nanday Conures.. To my caique?
I didnt realize that nanday conures were being raised for meat to eat, and nanday conure meat poisoning was killing parrots everywhere... LOL.
Did I read that wrong or did It seriously say not to feed nanday conures ?

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
It could mean that you're not meant to feed nanday conures at all. Or avocados. I've never seen an avocado that wanted food though.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Um, so I was looking up caique behavior (there was this adorable one at petco who if I could take home and cuddle I'd do it in a heartbeat). Well I came to this site and read this page :
Caique Diet and Care

Well, in the bottom paragraph it says this :
"As with all birds, do not feed Nanday Conures, avocados, chocolate, coffee or salt."

Umm, did it just tell me not to feed Nanday Conures.. To my caique?
I didnt realize that nanday conures were being raised for meat to eat, and nanday conure meat poisoning was killing parrots everywhere... LOL.
Did I read that wrong or did It seriously say not to feed nanday conures ?

Misplaced (or rather, unnecessary) comma is all. Common enough error these days :) Examples: "Slow, Children Crossing" cf "Slow Children Crossing".

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Lol that reminds me of a post I saw on Facebook that read:

" 'I like cooking my family and pets'

Use commas, don't be psycho"

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Misplaced (or rather, unnecessary) comma is all. Common enough error these days :) Examples: "Slow, Children Crossing" cf "Slow Children Crossing".

It's more than just the comma because it's on a page about caiques not nandays. Someone copied and pasted the information and didn't change it to reference the species being discussed.
It looks like they did the same thing on other species pages too.
http://www.bluefrontparrot.com/blue-front-diet.html
http://www.englishbudgie.com/english-other-budgie-nutrition-diet.html

A google search shows other pages with the exact same phrasing
https://www.google.com/search?q="do...fee+or+salt"&num=30&filter=0&biw=1383&bih=963

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

It's more than just the comma because it's on a page about caiques not nandays. Someone copied and pasted the information and didn't change it to reference the species being discussed.
It looks like they did the same thing on other species pages too.
http://www.bluefrontparrot.com/blue-front-diet.html
http://www.englishbudgie.com/english-other-budgie-nutrition-diet.html

A google search shows other pages with the exact same phrasing
https://www.google.com/search?q="do...fee+or+salt"&num=30&filter=0&biw=1383&bih=963

Let me just put THIS out here:

We are NOT the grammar or spelling police here. We have MANY nationalities on this forum and we should NEVER frown upon typos and/or grammatical mistakes. GEES!!!

I seriously doubt the OP would have considered feeding her Caique some Nanday for supper. :cool:

Whoever else copied and pasted the same information obviously neglected to read it through thoroughly. :rolleyes:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I can't believe we are talking about this....

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Sorry, I just found it amusing that the page seemed to think perhaps I'd be feeding nanday conures to my caiques. Apologies if perhaps the owner of the page didnt have english as there first language and didnt know better. However, I found the mistake amusing.lol.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sorry, I just found it amusing that the page seemed to think perhaps I'd be feeding nanday conures to my caiques. Apologies if perhaps the owner of the page didnt have english as there first language and didnt know better. However, I found the mistake amusing.lol.

Hey now...it appears as if Nanday has been on MANY parrots' menus. BAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots

Hey now...it appears as if Nanday has been on MANY parrots' menus. BAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

A nanday a day keeps the vet away.... ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts