Dora... the Explorer?

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ♀
Oh and no to the cozy hut. You are correct.

As for taking her out, she’s very young and if she’s tame it’s probably all right for her to come out today. I waited 24 hours with Bumble but maybe didn’t need to. She was used to being handled and loved so she was fine. [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! No cozy hut. You don’t want them to think they can hide. I took a large handkerchief and tied it to a corner on 3 sides. This way he could nestle into something, yet not be concealed. My parrotlet is now 7 months old and he still enjoys standing in it and loves finding millet hiding in it.

Could you provide a photo please? Trying to imagine it! LOL

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Dora is absolutely adorable! I can't believe I missed this thread before, but so glad I found it today:) Keep those pictures coming, she makes me smile!

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Major update

Today Dora SURPRISED me LOL. Tom has been away for most of the day, meaning... lots of open door time. As usual, the music has been playing and we've been babbling to each other.
Well... Right now, she is preening herself in between my legs, beneath my laptop and chirping occasionally. She has even been grinding her beak(I guess it is cosy in there :eek:) I am in disbelief - an understatement!! In such a short amount of time, she's transformed. I managed to sneak a couple of photos to share. She flew ON me. Admittedly, I was uncertain whether she was actually on me due to her "weight"... and hesitant to move. Nerve wracking.
Of course, she is fascinated with the window and has flown into it. I've lowered the blinds to prevent this although, she went around it to peek outside. Is it worth me getting a perch that attaches to the window?

Today I introduced new pellets(TOPS) to her dish - maybe they're accountable?

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
hgo2G
https://imgur.com/a/hgo2G

8IGJb

https://imgur.com/a/8IGJb

How lucky am I?

P.S. Um... She is currently preening her self at the top of my blinds LOL.

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
In the time she has been out, I've received approximately three bites(varied pressure). The first was on my teeth/lip(I was more worried about her getting poorly from my saliva). She was on my shoulder, I was trying to look down and respond to her. Sorry Dora lol! The next two times were my hands. She would approach them slowly and bite, which gradually got harder. I took the advice I've read and tried "shunning" her - placing her on the floor or away on the sofa. Each time, she would fly back on me? It wasn't till the second time(being bitten) I recalled her being chased around the cage by her breeder. Probably a negative association. It was difficult to refrain from squealing with pain. I've been concealing my hands with the sleeves on my jumper, till she becomes more confident.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Aw congratulations, I love the name! I am excited for your future together :)

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
Oh and no to the cozy hut. You are correct.

As for taking her out, she’s very young and if she’s tame it’s probably all right for her to come out today. I waited 24 hours with Bumble but maybe didn’t need to. She was used to being handled and loved so she was fine. [emoji3][emoji3]

I agree! No cozy hut. You don’t want them to think they can hide. I took a large handkerchief and tied it to a corner on 3 sides. This way he could nestle into something, yet not be concealed. My parrotlet is now 7 months old and he still enjoys standing in it and loves finding millet hiding in it.

Could you provide a photo please? Trying to imagine it! LOL

7c9f5e80dad1644835671997ced6c51a.jpg
c0519040a9c09652a27a3a66d840d134.jpg
9a57a200db54d2994d3ac4178d192c7f.jpg
bb8a759150cf96ebbf632576fdedb00e.jpg

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m so excited for you that she’s getting to know you! Parrotlets are nippy little beasts. I just so everything I can to avoid that beak. Also if you go to the macaw forum and read the big beaks sticky, it’s very useful. Some of it is macaw specific, but lots of it applies to all parrots. [emoji846]

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
@tanyamitchellrn Thank you for taking a photo! I definitely imagined it differently lol. P.S. They are beautiful!

@Inger Thank you!! I'm excited too. It has been a truly special experience. Also, took some notes from the thread you suggested... and other threads by Birdman666! ;)

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Update:
Yesterday Dora's cage door was open for hours, since Tom was away for the night. Strangely, she didn't come out once. I have a few inklings why... the day didn't follow it's usual routine.
In the morning's, she has been rushing to her food dish to meet me and... attempting to cling on whilst I remove it lol! Same with her water dish.
Today, I had been out for a couple of hours, opened my front door and was greeted. Dora flew out almost instantly when the cage door was opened, straight to my shoulder. It tickles! The hour was spent with Dora gradually climbing up my head. Not a single bite. Although, we did have an issue when it was time to go back in the cage lol! She was adamant to stay on my arm but I had to collect Tom. I cuddled her in for a moment and decided to place some millet in her cage. It worked but she wasn't thrilled.
In the evening, me and Tom were reading a book and Dora made it apparent, she wanted to join us - which was a delight! Flew straight to my hood. Minutes later, a lap around the room. Tom was in awe. Me too * Returned to her cage shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
So great! ❤️❤️

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
It's been a while... It is a bird in my hair and not a fascinator :D
Many hours have been spent with Dora either on my head or shoulder. I've had to bribe her with millet numerous times and whether that works isn't guaranteed LOL. Compared to a couple of weeks ago, she has transformed and is confident with others(humans). Today, she surprised me by flying straight to my siblings shoulder within moments of them arrived - they've never met before. I'd like to begin training although the target stick I ordered broke, the same day it arrived. She is still uneasy about receiving tickles but we shall see.

Always thrilled to receive any input! It seems I cannot read enough information regarding parrots LOL :)

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
You don’t need anything special for a target stick. A chopstick will work. I use a knitting needle (because I had it). Don’t wait to get started - the younger she is, the easier it is to train her. [emoji846]

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
You don’t need anything special for a target stick. A chopstick will work. I use a knitting needle (because I had it). Don’t wait to get started - the younger she is, the easier it is to train her. [emoji846]

We've began training... although, I think she would prefer being snuggled into me and being tickled. Thank you for the suggestion! I'm now using a small knitting needle. "Fixed" the target stick but unsurprisingly, it seemed to intimidate her. Whilst training, I worry I may be confusing her and start doubting whether I am doing it "correctly"? :confused:

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
It is very common for birds to be afraid of something new. Just start by giving her treats when she goes near the target stick, then a little closer, then lightly touching it with her beak, and finally following it wherever it goes. Don’t worry, the first behavior you teach a bird will be the hardest to teach because the bird isn’t used to working for a reward. She’ll learn, eventually, that when she does a trick correctly, she will get a treat. After she’s learned to target, you can use that to teach tricks such as spinning around, going through a hoop, doing a flip around the perch, or flying to you on command.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
It is very common for birds to be afraid of something new. Just start by giving her treats when she goes near the target stick, then a little closer, then lightly touching it with her beak, and finally following it wherever it goes. Don’t worry, the first behavior you teach a bird will be the hardest to teach because the bird isn’t used to working for a reward. She’ll learn, eventually, that when she does a trick correctly, she will get a treat. After she’s learned to target, you can use that to teach tricks such as spinning around, going through a hoop, doing a flip around the perch, or flying to you on command.

True! I’ve taught Bumble all of these things using the target training. And lately she prefers to bite me instead of stepping up when she’s on my shoulder, so I’ve been using target to move her down my arm where she steps up nicely.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bumble's perch flipping is cool, worth a video all by it self, hint hint.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble's perch flipping is cool, worth a video all by it self, hint hint.

Go check her thread [emoji2]

OP
Loz

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Thank you all!
We've been training daily, which is fun. Tom sometimes joins in. She had been stepping up consistently although, she was doing this prior to introducing the target.
Inside Dora's cage, she has multiple toys to keep her occupied... yet it appears none of them pique her interest. When we're playing, she enjoys tissue and a tiny chew toy.
@Inger Dora is fond of my shoulder too and has bit my neck a few times whilst preening me. Maybe she is attempting to remove my spots? I've had to lead her down my arm using the target to prevent this. Ouch. P.S. Do you have any suggestions for a play gym? I cannot decide lol!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts