Downsizing???

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Heya, everyone. As some of you may know, things areā€¦ wellā€¦ crappy in my personal life right now. The chances of leaving home and moving out with my mom and brother, due to a divorce is steadily increasing now. Because of this, I may have to downsize Ricoā€™s (My cockatiel) cage.

What would be a good option..? Because his flight cage may be a pain to fit into a smaller room, and in case we cannot comfortably fit his cage into my room, then there may be some issuesā€¦ I could put him back into Cricketā€™s (my budgie) current winter cage that she grew into:
image.jpg

And put her into her red cage (summer cage)
IMG_1811.jpeg

but what if I canā€™t fit that hefty cage into the car, for whatever reason, or I canā€™t transport it into the houseā€¦ then what? Would there be any decent table top cages that I could look into and buy that after selling my cages?

And for those wondering, yes, I would be home 24/7, because I am homeschooled, so I would be able to provide ample time out of the cage.

Oh, and no, we wouldnā€™t be able to ship either of my current cages, to our new address, because itā€™d be WAY expensive. The dome top is 50lbs and the flight cage is likeā€¦ maybe 65 or 70? I dunno, just basing off of my perspective, and how heavy it feels to meā€¦ anyway, are there good tabletop cages I could look into? Thank you in advance.

IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_4943.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg

Birbs 4 birb tax.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Heya, everyone. As some of you may know, things areā€¦ wellā€¦ crappy in my personal life right now. The chances of leaving home and moving out with my mom and brother, due to a divorce is steadily increasing now. Because of this, I may have to downsize Ricoā€™s (My cockatiel) cage.

What would be a good option..? Because his flight cage may be a pain to fit into a smaller room, and in case we cannot comfortably fit his cage into my room, then there may be some issuesā€¦ I could put him back into Cricketā€™s (my budgie) current winter cage that she grew into: View attachment 57192
And put her into her red cage (summer cage) View attachment 57193

but what if I canā€™t fit that hefty cage into the car, for whatever reason, or I canā€™t transport it into the houseā€¦ then what? Would there be any decent table top cages that I could look into and buy that after selling my cages?

And for those wondering, yes, I would be home 24/7, because I am homeschooled, so I would be able to provide ample time out of the cage.

Oh, and no, we wouldnā€™t be able to ship either of my current cages, to our new address, because itā€™d be WAY expensive. The dome top is 50lbs and the flight cage is likeā€¦ maybe 65 or 70? I dunno, just basing off of my perspective, and how heavy it feels to meā€¦ anyway, are there good tabletop cages I could look into? Thank you in advance.

View attachment 57194View attachment 57195View attachment 57196

Birbs 4 birb tax.
Sorry to hear about your situation.
I would just wait and see what happens. When/if you move to another place then you can look at the space you have and better assess what size cages you should get and where to put them. A smaller cage aint so bad if tue bird gets a lot of time out of it. All the best with it

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Sorry to hear about your situation.
I would just wait and see what happens. When/if you move to another place then you can look at the space you have and better assess what size cages you should get and where to put them. A smaller cage aint so bad if tue bird gets a lot of time out of it. All the best with it
I was thinking about that, yesā€¦ though I do think it could be helpful in advance, to have options available, yā€™know?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Prevue makes a large variety of tabletop cages at a reasonable price ( I think thatā€™s the brand of Cricketā€™s cage?) and they are decent quality, and sold on Amazon. The dome top cage that you already have is also a good option if you canā€™t take Ricoā€™s big cage. Since the birds wonā€™t be caged for long stretches of time, they donā€™t need huge cages. Hope things work out all right ā¤ļø

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Prevue makes a large variety of tabletop cages at a reasonable price ( I think thatā€™s the brand of Cricketā€™s cage?) and they are decent quality, and sold on Amazon. The dome top cage that you already have is also a good option if you canā€™t take Ricoā€™s big cage. Since the birds wonā€™t be caged for long stretches of time, they donā€™t need huge cages. Hope things work out all right ā¤ļø
Yes, I have been looking into PH againā€¦ itā€™s a bit tough trying to find suitable cages for Rico, since he does like having space, and having toys, too. Iā€™m just glad prevue cages tend to go on sale lol but if crap goes sideways and gets hairy, and there isnā€™t enough space for the dometop, then Iā€™ll go for a table top cage, similar to Crickā€™s, but with more space.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Iā€™m just really concerned for my birdsā€™ potential futures, which are likely to come in the upcoming months, or next year. Danke!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
The first Prevue one or the Vivohome one would have my vote! Prevue also makes ā€œ flightā€ cages that are longer than tall like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Multi...=1705215828&sprefix=prevue+fli,aps,110&sr=8-3

I donā€™t know if Rico likes tall space or wide space? I have one similar to this that I got for free and havenā€™t had to use ( but, you know, it was free!) and it really has a bit of space.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The first Prevue one or the Vivohome one would have my vote! Prevue also makes ā€œ flightā€ cages that are longer than tall like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Multi-Bird-Stackable-Extra-Small-Parakeets/dp/B001NPX5BC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=25FGFUA2EB116&keywords=prevue+flight+cage&qid=1705215828&sprefix=prevue+fli,aps,110&sr=8-3

I donā€™t know if Rico likes tall space or wide space? I have one similar to this that I got for free and havenā€™t had to use ( but, you know, it was free!) and it really has a bit of space.
Thatā€™s an amazing cage and I did look into it prior, however, it is probably not what Rico would like. He definitely likes his tail room for his big olā€™ tail.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thatā€™s an amazing cage and I did look into it prior, however, it is probably not what Rico would like. He definitely likes his tail room for his big olā€™ tail.
A second hand cage is always a great option. My cage is worth $700 but I got it for $50 second hand with minimal damage on it.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Turns out we might not even have to downsize! ^w^

If we move out, my momā€™s friend will be tagging along, and weā€™ll be able to afford rent for a 4 bedroom rental house! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts