emergency!!

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
idk why but my lovebird is very lethargic today. he's on the ground and cant even get up. his breathing is really slow too. it just happens today and im not sure why. there was a temperature change yesterday but all of my other lovebird seems fine so far and i do have blankets for em to hide in. he's not eating either.

can i try feeding him with his baby mix food? i got him as a baby and used to handfed him and i can get his old baby mix food to try to feed him again withit

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
also forgot to mention vet isnt an option either until next week so idk what to do :(

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Have you called the vet to see if they can give you advice/direction over the phone?

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
Have you called the vet to see if they can give you advice/direction over the phone?
i tried but he said its difficult to tell just via phone and he basically wants to charge it

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
im trying to see if i can burrow money from my friends. it'll only pay for the consultation and nothing else but better to consult than nothing

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Do you know for certain your lovebird is a male? Reason I ask is the combination of lethargy and slow or difficult breathing can be a sign of egg-binding. Having blankets or hiding areas can contribute to hormonal activity.

A good idea to offer handfeeding formula if he will accept. Might want to consider isolating him from the others in case of contagion. Might be exposed already if contagious, you'll have to weigh the risk of moving to another cage.

Vet access is difficult because of Covid. Often vets will have emergency slots available. Hopefully you can borrow for a phone consultation - would be better if video is available as well.

Wishing your lovebird a quick recovery, keep us updated!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Goodness, I hope he feels better soon! Can you make up a hot water bottle for him or a safe electric source of heat? In times of illness heat is very important.

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
update

He got newcastle disease. i went for a vacation last week and had him with my cousin. my guess is he put my bird outside and maybe some wild bird with the virusinteract with him. i guess its my fault for not instructing him clearly on what not to do :(
doctor said there's nothing he can do about it.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Oh goodness i'm so so so so sorry for this horrible update. :( my heart is breaking for you.

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
New castle is a reportable disease abd requires testing. Its kinda a big deal!!! I feel yiu might have received a brush off.
Did they already euthanized your bird???
I'm so sorry you have a sick one
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ease-information/avian/virulent-newcastle/vnd

https://www.gov.scot/publications/newcastle-disease/
not yet. it costed like 50$ to euthanize him and we just didnt have that money right now. we're just sort of assist feeding him rn. he's takin only like a tiny bit of it. but he's still drinking abit. we also drop some vitamin to his drink. he can somewhat move his head up now but it seems his legs cant really move nor his wings. we have him isolated in a seperated room and i always wash everyhing off and sanatize everything off after interacting with him

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
i've read online another way to euthanize a bird is by snapping their neck kr something like that and i honestly just dont have the gut for that

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You don't have to euthanize him, as there us no way to know he has that disease, tge symptoms fir a sick bird are all nearly the same. Trying to nurse and save him is always my first choice.
Warmth us very important for sick birds. I'll find some links for you

Last edited:
OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
another update

he seems more better. he can eat by himself but his legs and wings seems as if they cant move?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A good sign.
Yogurt with live acidophilus culture and no artificial sweetners, can help balance his gastric system. My birds will lick it from my fingers.

I pray he keeps recovering

OP
R

raighasmart

Dec 13, 2020
sad update

he died. idk what happened. he was recovering well and eating well but then he suddenly died today :(

im still not sure what he has

Most Reactions