Experience raising 2 lovebird babys as a beginner with ParrotForums

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also I've heard seeds are bad for birds? I think. Is it okay if I give seeds and veggies and fruits so its like a good diet? edit: oh okay tyvm
will give them water as well

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
also I've heard seeds are bad for birds? I think. Is it okay if I give seeds and veggies and fruits so its like a good diet?
As long as they aren't getting a lot of fatty seeds(Like sunflower) and that veggies are most of the diet then they should be fine as long as they get a lot of exercise.

Try to make a seed mix with at least 5 different types of seeds. Here are some video ideas:

Last edited:
OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Their seed mix looks like the one in the second video. except without the pink and green stuff. they dont get sunflower seeds. thank you again :D

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Their seed mix looks like the one in the second video. except without the pink and green stuff. they dont get sunflower seeds. thank you again :D
That's good, I think the pink and green stuff are herbs/flowers, they aren't necessary though

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
they ate for about 15 minutes and their crop isn't even half way there to be full :eek: is this okay? gave them water as well. but they dont like water (*.*). they still are munching aaaaaa

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
they ate for about 15 minutes and their crop isn't even half way there to be full :eek: is this okay? gave them water as well. but they dont like water (*.*). they still are munching aaaaaa
If their crop isn't that full I suggest giving them a bit of formula :)

also, keep the water in their cage just in case

How does their cage look like by the way? Can I have some pics? :)

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
okie I'll send some. lemme just say its not the size you suggested ;-; but um yeah. it doesn't have toys but we are going to get some this weekend. we have a ladder and a swing for them but my dad wont let me put them inside the cage. cuz he thinks that it wont come out if there are toys inside the cage. it has 2 wood perches. My dad was going to get one of those small tiny cages for them but i insisted to get a bigger one and um he agreed for this one https://aquariumlives.com/6620-large_default/dayang-bird-cage-10-pcs-box-46-x-31-x-33cm.jpg its this one lol

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also they're making a mess in the room they dont know how to eat seeds with the food holder thing. if I put some on a tissue outside the cage and take them out they eat it..ye..ig they dont know the mechanics of the holder yet thingy. but um i'll do the pretending thing. they are still munching lol

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Im sorry if you feel disturbed on how small the cage is ._. i tried. I also didn't want to put a burden on my dad.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also it seems like they don't like the syringe any more. (*.*). I kept seeds on the holder thing and they are biting outside the holder. to eat

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
but um I'll keep offering them formula but with a spoon instead? they just finisht and the next minute they're back to sleeeeeep. their crop is half full

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The cage is an OK size, you really are trying your best and I am not going to make you feel bad for it, I don't feel disturbed by it. There are many people out there who can afford a good cage for their birds but don't want to give their birds a better cage!

Putting a ladder and swing or other toys in the cage is perfectly fine, it won't prevent them from coming out. You can also make DIY toys(there is a whole DIY section in the forums!).

Are the perches natural perches? If they are the smooth dowels I suggest getting natural perches(bird safe list here) or scraping them to give it some texture :)

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
thank you so much. I've said that to my dad he still wont listen but its ok. we are getting more toys for them this week, i'll also try to make toys for them. the perches are smooth. but its made out of wood. because the sides of the perches are rough but the place where kiwi and kiko sit on is smooth. I will roughen it a bit. thank you.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also where is the DIY section thing (*.*)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep, offer the formula with a spoon, bent up at the sides ( use a cheap one, not your moms good silverware). You make the spoon into a kind of scoop or shovel shape. Teaspoon is about the right size. Me, I continue to offer Salty formula once in awhile and he is 6yrs old now. Its good for when you need to get meds into them.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
LOL. of course not silverware. Salty Formula?? so salty formula can help when they get into meds? okay. I'll start giving salty formula once in a while. but if its something that they dont like they will spit it out

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
LOL. of course not silverware. Salty Formula?? so salty formula can help when they get into meds? okay. I'll start giving salty formula once in a while. but if its something that they dont like they will spit it out
He means his parrot Salty, don't give formula containing salt! 😅

And he means formula can help when giving them medicine

Last edited:

Most Reactions