Experience raising 2 lovebird babys as a beginner with ParrotForums

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
oh i see thanks!. they dont enjoy baths they run away :p.but i'll try to find a way to make bathing fun! :D

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
they had their bath yesterday they just flew out of the sink. I guess the sink wasn't a fun way to bath.. they agreed for water drops lol. also now they both are professionals at fly recalls. can I give them apples? they look so cute in this pic
1645963984455.png

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
they had their bath yesterday they just flew out of the sink. I guess the sink wasn't a fun way to bath.. they agreed for water drops lol. also now they both are professionals at fly recalls. can I give them apples? they look so cute in this picView attachment 36397
Apples are safe, just don't give it a lot and remove the pips :)

Last edited:
OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
They eat 5 ml each and then eat seeds for like 15 minutes and then their crop is around 70% done. then they either sleep or play. they get 9-10 hours of sleep. they fly and play most of the time. is 5 ml and seeds really enough? They are really active theres no step back when it comes to flying and playing for them...this is their seed mix Hopefully it has the ''good'' mixtures for a proper diet. I seriously do not want them to get any disease. I do not want to feed them things that are bad. Their poop is green(the poop)/white(i think its called feces idk. its creamlike in looking)/transparent (urine) which I think is healthy poop. I clean their cage everyday play with them for atleast 4+ hours with them daily.They like shoulder rides. Im also wondering about their gender. we just think that their girls. Kiko likes to bite on papers (i've heard if a lovebird does that its a boy) i really dont know

Attachments

• 1645978742637.png
    1645978742637.png
    222 KB · Views: 87

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
They eat 5 ml each and then eat seeds for like 15 minutes and then their crop is around 70% done. then they either sleep or play. they get 9-10 hours of sleep. they fly and play most of the time. is 5 ml and seeds really enough? They are really active theres no step back when it comes to flying and playing for them...this is their seed mix Hopefully it has the ''good'' mixtures for a proper diet. I seriously do not want them to get any disease. I do not want to feed them things that are bad. Their poop is green(the poop)/white(i think its called feces idk. its creamlike in looking)/transparent (urine) which I think is healthy poop. I clean their cage everyday play with them for atleast 4+ hours with them daily.They like shoulder rides. Im also wondering about their gender. we just think that their girls. Kiko likes to bite on papers (i've heard if a lovebird does that its a boy) i really dont know
The sed mix is great except for the shells (Grit(seashells) can cause impaction), the peanuts and the sunflowers(While they're not toxic they're not very healthy), so my recommendation is to remove the shells and the peanuts/sunflower seed(You can keep the sunflower/peanuts for training)

For now I think 5ml+seed is ok but you need to try get them onto veggies eventually.

The poop you described seems healthy, though very bright green means liver/kindey issues so if it's a dull green then it's fine.

If lovebirds chew paper it doesn't necessarily mean they're male, girls do it as well😜 Paper can make a great toy, just make sure they don't swallow it.

I recommend for diet no more than 30% of the seed mix, then the other other 70% is sprouts, grains, veggies, etc.

I'm glad they get a lot of outside time, they seem to really enjoy you as their owner! :)

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
they make a lot of noise when they are sleeping/pretending to sleep.. idk lol. is that normal. they've done it ever since they were in the cage. but today its excessive :eek: if i go near them they stop and ask for treats lol. their poop is healthy

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
during night they dont make noise while sleeping. maybe their asking for attention?

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
I kept a bowl of water near them to see what they'd do. and they straight up jumped into it. after bathing we used a towel to make them warm and now they are sleeping. they also started drinking water! trying to give watery formula so they'll automatically start hating the syringe and start eating fruits/veggies and seeds

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
1646364192506.png
and after bathing there were yellow feathers that blended into the red feathers on kiwi
kiko has Blue/Green/Orenge/Yellow on her tail lol

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also is their a way to rename this thread? I feel like people are concerned by the title..

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yes
1646374171375.png

Click on those three dots and click "edit thread"
and then change the title :)

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
okay thanks! HMM what should i name it..

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
they started the habit to fight. but they still are buddys. they also started biting..they dont bite me but they bite my dad/sis..maybe they think we have treats on our hand? any tips to stop biting and tips to make them behave

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have a whole thread on parrot behaviour:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh so sorry my friend, I should have jumped in sooner to correct your misinterpretation of the "Salty" formula. AS explained, Salty is my parrot.

I think you're doing well with these 2; lovebirds are not the easiest to work with, especially when there is 2 and they are bonded. Lesson and training are likely to be more productive if you can work with 1 at a time, preferably in a different room, so each can concentrate on the lesson. Try to reserve their very favorite treat for training and lessons. Progress with most parrots is SLOW business, their rate of change is glacial compared to our quick money brains. I always try to end a session with a positive note, something they can do well every time.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
oop (y) Thank you for the tips! It was actually me who was dumb in that part lol HAHA. They have started to bite and fight. eg: when i open the cage they fight because one of them wants to come out first..(they only fight when this happens :/) and then they bite my dad and sis..but not me. I gave them mushed banana and they wouldn't like it. and I'm offering solid food daily..at once they opened their mouth and I put the small banana inside and they reacted with 'yum' i think that's what I interpreted it as..but then the next time they wouldn't eat. And then there was a piece of banana on the floor and kiwi was eating it..;-; and also I'm trying to let them go on their way, not force them. As of training they both have mastered flying (kinda lol).the way im training them rn is: I keep one far away from me and then I call the name and they fly and come and once they are close I start moving backwards and they keep flying to land on me. Im doing this to get their wing muscles going. ty for the tips!

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
it seems like kiko's one tail feather is slanted...she probably got hit my something...BUt she's still a great fly-er will she be ok? When flying I can see that all her feathers are in right position for like all tail feathers are straight when flying
1646752913545.png

Most Reactions