Fans....quick question!

Jadetober

Jun 21, 2022
Parrots
Indian ring neck
My feather baby is out of her cage for the most part of the day and in the UK at the moment we are experiencing a heatwave. We don't have air conditioning, most people in the UK don't, so we fans pushing warm air around!
Everything I have read says keep birds out of drafts... My baby flies out of her cage and sits on the piggies cage right in front of the fan! Should I let her as it is her choice? Is it ok? Or should I move the fan??

This bird is a constant source of mild panic daily haha! I swear I am more cautious about her than my actual skin babies when they were little!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
as long as it's a closed fan and they couldnt accidentally fly into the blades it's fine. No ceiling fans though. when talking about drafts it's more referring to when its colder weather (freezing) and the cold is drafting to them.

OP
J

Jadetober

Jun 21, 2022
Parrots
Indian ring neck
as long as it's a closed fan and they couldnt accidentally fly into the blades it's fine. No ceiling fans though. when talking about drafts it's more referring to when its colder weather (freezing) and the cold is drafting to them.
Oh it's all enclosed and she doesn't fly at it! She just sits in front of it so that she can be next to me (but out of arms reach) and 'talk' at me! She isn't fluffed up like she is cold or anything...it's hotter than Hades here and the doors and windows are shut to stop her escaping! She isn't showing any signs of overheating either which is something I was worried about but I guess that she is probably ok as her breed started off in India which can get pretty hot!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Ringnecks come from India, so long as you can get them plenty of water and wind (fan) they are probably comfortable.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Enclosed box fans, as stated by others' is not a problem during the warm months of the year.

It is very likely that your Parrot is puffing up to increase the amount of air moving deeper /closer to her body and allowing her to cool herself. If she is over-heating, she will lift her wings away from her body and begin to pant. If you see that, it would be wise to mist her with cool water.

During the cooler times of the year, she will fluff, to increase the distance between her body and her outer feathers to allow that space to act as a warming area.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts