Few questions

Djnash79

Jul 9, 2018
Hi all, new to the forum and parrots and just looking for a little advice.

1st is I know there are various colours around but wanted to know what colour morph a white head and a pastelish grey body is called as I've heard it maybe a lacewing? Just need it clearing up.

The 2nd question is, I purchased these two ringnecks from someone who says they are around 3 years old and lived in an aviary outside. Will I still be able to tame them at this age? I now have them living inside in a large parrot cage.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 15311547463666798169007076348489.jpg
    15311547463666798169007076348489.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Hi, the color you are describing could be any number of mutations, including “lacewing” which is azure nickname for pallid, but even then you need more info, such as, is it a pallid grey? Pallid blue? You could also be describing a Clearhead Cleartails in various colors, certain pied varieties, even some cinnamons look similar to what you are describing, so a picture would be ideal.

You may or may not succeed in taming. IRNs are one of the most difficult species to tame. I’ll attach my article on IRN taming below.

http://www.silversageaviaries.com/tamingyourringneck-1/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Djnash79

Jul 9, 2018
Thanks for the reply, i have bumped into your website a few days ago...good read.
I have attached a picture of the white / grey ringneck if this helps.

Attachments

• 20180709_173246.jpg
    20180709_173246.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 122

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
Our Casey just turned 1 and is too tame. Lol. Let's us know exactly what she wants.... just like this beef stick
4b714a24e773b2671e089f75a8b8f5ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Djnash79

Jul 9, 2018
Do love the yellow ones...be interesting to see what colour ringnecks my current two will produce?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
First off, you have a blue male and the other is albino; has this pair laid eggs or has the albino been DNA tested? Because male albinos don’t get rings.

Assuming you have a true pair and assuming they don’t have splits, you will get all blue babies, and the males will be split to ino.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
But I really hope you won’t dive into breeding this very unique and challenging species without a good reason, and without finding someone to teach you the basics of hand feeding, etc. you also need to educate yourself on abundance weaning, full fledging, and plan to drop $2000 or more in initial supplies plus put the same amount into a savings account for when things go wrong with a clutch.

OP
D

Djnash79

Jul 9, 2018
These were purchased as a pair and the white one had it's 1st clutch before I purchased them (that's what I was told). They was in a large aviary along with about 10 more mixed sex ringnecks. I didn't purchase them with the intention to breed to make money...we purchased them because we liked them. Just want to try and tame them and enjoy them and not even fussed if they talk or not but being able to handle them alone will be enough for us.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Perfect :)

Be aware; your hen may turn on and kill the male. She may not, just keep an eye out and if she even STARTS to bully him, split them immediately.

OP
D

Djnash79

Jul 9, 2018
We have a 2nd smaller parrot cage which I got from the person I got them from so a 2nd cage is ready to go. The hen does seem to be more chilled compared to the male who flaps around when you get to close or cleaning, changing water or putting food in. How long should I leave them to settle down before trying to interact or moving on to the next stage of a tempting to tame?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
It’s really hard to tell from afar. Whebever you feel they are settled

Most Reactions