food question

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Lilo will not eat her greens! She hates all veggie food but although I can't blame her... but could split pea soup work? Like if I got some and got the beef out could that work? Because I want her to eat her greens! Thanks so much! :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Most split pea soups quite high in salt and fat. A couple of sips probably wouldn't hurt but only very rarely. Why not try sugar snap peas, They can eat the whole thing pod and all and a lot of birds like them.:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
How about trying "sweet" veggies? Yams, butternut squash, carrots, snap peas (just the pea if she doesn't like the pod), and corn though that's more like a treat nutrition wise. Most birds will naturally go for a sweet taste. Many sweet tasting veggies are orange/yellow, which are some of the most nutritious ones out there.

You can also get a chopper and chop mixed veggies (with foods she likes) so small that it would be hard to pick out certain items without accidentally ingesting the other stuff.

If she's a picky eater, make sure she's on a high quality natural pellet as her base nutrition. Though wide variety is optimal, remember also that she is NOT going to be a malnourished parrot unless all she gets is seed.

If you are really concerned (well, even if you're not) it's a good idea to take your bird periodically to the vet for a blood chemistry to see that all the organs are functioning properly as result of decent nutrition. Especially in older birds.

Last edited:
OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Ok thanks guys! I will try all of your ideas! Hopefully she will eat that! And sorry this is a really late response! I am always very grateful for your help! So thanks very much! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts