so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
We had the utility company come out for a leak once; they mix chemicals that smell into the gas lines so you can tell quickly. Thankfully it was just that the guy who’d worked on the dryer didn’t hook up the vent hose and not a true leak.

You can purchase natural gas detectors that detect unsafe levels & plug into a wall socket! We have one right next to our hot water heater, as it is located in a closet in Kirby’s room. We plan on eventually replacing it with an outdoor tankless hot water heater so that I don’t need to worry about it anymore! We had hoped to do it this year but we had an emergency bathroom remodel and it’s not in the budget for now.
I don't know how much you looked into the tankless water heater, I did look into it a bit.
My neighbor is a plumber and installs them.
What he told me is.
Natural gas supplied to homes comes in on a small diameter pipe at low pressure.
Small diameter + low pressure is not sufficient for a tankless water heater. For my house I would need to have installed a larger diameter pipe from the street supply to my home.
He said the cost of putting in the larger diameter pipe + inspections from city gov. etc.etc. would not be cost effective for long time.
In other words I would not see a cost reduction from using a tanklesss water heater for years.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I don't know how much you looked into the tankless water heater, I did look into it a bit.
My neighbor is a plumber and installs them.
What he told me is.
Natural gas supplied to homes comes in on a small diameter pipe at low pressure.
Small diameter + low pressure is not sufficient for a tankless water heater. For my house I would need to have installed a larger diameter pipe from the street supply to my home.
He said the cost of putting in the larger diameter pipe + inspections from city gov. etc.etc. would not be cost effective for long time.
In other words I would not see a cost reduction from using a tanklesss water heater for years.
Yeah, we were quoted at 7k to replace and move the installation outside. However, here in Seattle tankless is seen as a big feature and while it doesn’t add value it does seem to attract buyers! We were considering it so that we could move it outside and because we would like to eventually buy land and build something better suited to our kids and pets, maybe on Vashon so we aren’t so far removed from the vet!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There is definitely more reasons to switch to tankless than saving money.
At the time I looked at it there were commercials all over the radio made it sound interesting.
After found out it wasn’t as simple as it sounds I dropped the idea.

Most Reactions