GCC Leg Issue

Ian_Phoenix

May 12, 2021
Hello. I'm new to this forum but I have come because I am wondering if anyone has had experience with a bird experiencing lameness like symptoms following injection at a vet. I took my green checked conure To the vet because his poop looked a little weird and they ran a bunch of tests and they came back mostly normal but they decided to give him injection of antibiotics in his leg. Ever since then hes been having trouble walking around and climbing in his cage. When I Got back he fell down from the top of this cage and I was very alarmed. It has almost been a week and hes able to put some weight on it but he still seems to be in pain when hes lifting his foot up to grab a higher perch And he certainly can't get around like he did before. The vets advise me to just have him get rest a couple days ago but is it likely that soreness can explain these symptoms a week out? I don't want to have to take him back to the vet if I don't have to because he gets very traumatised there. Any thoughts from people with experience would be much appreciated!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
an injection can cause damage, it can be just one of those things that happen sometimes.

Or it can be the vets fault, given in wrong g place. Or some medicine csbr be given as injection because damages tissue...ect. its a complex issue.

But in my opinion a caring vet would ask to see the bird and figure out if just rest is needed or if there are bigger issues.

Most times I think time heals. You can do warm compress. Just hold a warm damp wash cloth on tge area. This helps increase blood flow abd healing

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I don’t have experience in this but I do have experience in lameness. If your bird is still falling from a perch, I’d pad the bottom ( I have a diaper changing pad in mine covered in a puppy pee pad). I also have a heated perch for mine — heat promotes blood flow and blood flow promotes healing. If a muscle or tendon is damaged or injured you need supplemental heat. I’ve seen a big difference in my birds healing and over all well being with the heated perch. I also recently followed @Laurasea’s advice and got a heated panel that works amazingly well for supplemental heat.

When looking at your birds injured leg is the leg swollen? Inflamed? Hot to touch ? Compare the injured leg (injection sight) to his other leg do you see a difference? Can you post a photo?

Most Reactions