Goffins Cockatoos and Chamomile Tea

2Toos

Dec 26, 2011
Houston TEXAS
Parrots
Elnora Cockatoo
Goffins Cockatoo
My 2 year-old Goffins has a tendency to bite a lot and get fairly rowdy. I have heard that by giving them (caffine feee) Chamomile tea that this will calm them down, I have given him the warm tea and he loves it and cannot get enough of it. Has anyone heard of anything harmful about this? (or any positive results??):white1:

Chamomile is fine for them :) Other the chamomile fruit flavored teas are good. Try to stay away from herbal teas, and teas with caffeine of course.

the drug avi calm has tea extract in it, and tea has always had relaxing properties lol but all mumbo jumbo aside, nut goes well nuts for warm liquids like shower/bath water, my tea! etc

excercise is also a good thing for reducing rowdy behaviour lol

Chamomile tea is good for birds. I don't know why the above poster said to avoid herbal teas, but they tend to be pretty safe. Just avoid "caffeine" (the "caffeine" in tea is actually theophylline, which is milder, but people seems to forget that).

Avi Calm has L-Theanine in it, which is calming. I take it myself (not AviCalm, but L-Theanine).

Edit: Accidentally originally typed theobromine instead of theophylline. Theobromine is the "caffeine", that's not actually caffeine, that is found in chocolate. Theophylline is in tea. Both are stimulants, and frequently mistaken for caffeine.

Last edited:
I have a rowdy Goffin's who is pretty tame during the day... but bedtime is a whole other story! Maybe a night cap is in order...

Awesome tip guys :)

I forgot to mention, but keep an eye on your bird if it shares your tea. Puck has developed a habit of taking my teabag out of my cup, chewing it up and shredding it, and dropping it back in. Eewww....

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back