Hand preference?

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
Ziggy (African Grey) and Elvis B&G
So i just happened to notice yesterday Ziggy has a preference on which hand she steps up on. She will only step up onto my right hand and will gently bite and push my left hand away if i offer it to her. i'm not sure if this was from generally offering my right hand since i'm right hand dominant or if its just what she wants.

Anyone else have a grey that only wants to be picked up by a certain hand?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I read an article about this somewhere (I can't remember where) that they think birds can actually feel that one hand isn't as strong and steady as the other and once they get used to that, they'll develop a preference.

Iris at first only liked my right hand, but I'm actually left handed. Her previous owner was probably right handed. Now she's okay with either, unless she's in an Amazon mood, and then she'll only go right hand.

So not a grey, but same thing.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Both Rosie and Kenji prefer the right hand. I can touch Rosie with either hand, and move her from my right hand from my left hand once I'm holding he. Kenji on the other hand hates left hands, he'll grab it hard lol. Shaymus has no preference.

Most Reactions