Hard biting (male peach fronted conure)

Jake75

Feb 26, 2021
Hey guys

My names jacob and i just joined up to ask some questions about my lovely peach fronted conure Petrie. Heā€™s going really well, and is the first conure ive owned. Iā€™ve previously kept budgies and cockatiels, so i have a bit of experience.

Anyway, he is hand-raised, gentle, and relatively calm. Heā€™s about 15 weeks old, and i am aware he may be currently bluffing, well hitting puberty, because when I first got him, he was super cuddly, would crawl up into my hood and sleep forever. However, i am aware that of course babyā€™s do that, yet i wanted to ask about his current new trend of biting, really really hard.

For example, today he was on my shoulder, calm, tweeting, went to go give him a a little kiss with my nose, and he lunged at me. He doesnā€™t do it all the time, and usually i get the idea when he doesnā€™t want to be bothered. But heā€™s been quiet nippy to everyone including me, i have him out quite a bit during the day when Iā€™ve finished studying etc. i think its to do with him becoming an adult with hormones and such? Will this nippy stage eventually pass?

Cheers!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Could be, but you may want to include verbal clues that your going to stick your nose into your parrots space. Consistent communication goes a long way in avoiding getting bite.

Most Reactions