Hates walking on surfaces (beebee)

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Hi yā€™all! I have a male bee bee parrot and Iā€™ve had a hard time getting him to stand or walk on any hard surface. He hates being on the floor and countertops. I know heā€™s just afraid. Any suggestions?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me Im not a fan of parrots on floors. Unless you keep it like spic an span every day or multiple times a day, too much dirt, etc for them to pick and and maybe eat. PLus a tiny parrot like a bee bee too easy to miss him and step on him. FOr counter tops, its a matter of desensitizing him and using treats to coerce him into venturing onto the counter top. Always remember slow and sure is the way with parrots, whose rate of acceptance of change is GLACIAL compared to our quick monkey brains.

And beebees can be stubborn to boot.

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Me Im not a fan of parrots on floors. Unless you keep it like spic an span every day or multiple times a day, too much dirt, etc for them to pick and and maybe eat. PLus a tiny parrot like a bee bee too easy to miss him and step on him. FOr counter tops, its a matter of desensitizing him and using treats to coerce him into venturing onto the counter top. Always remember slow and sure is the way with parrots, whose rate of acceptance of change is GLACIAL compared to our quick monkey brains.

Good points. Thanks again!! šŸ‘šŸ»

CraigH

Mar 31, 2022
My CAG loves floors. (I expect most ground feeding parrots will). I also never worry about dirtā€”itā€™s kinda what ground feeding is all about. Perching birds, OTOH, will have a natural inclination to avoid such things. I wouldnā€™t worry about that either.

Iā€™d advise to let the bird do as much of what it prefers thatā€™s safe and healthy. (No wires to chew on, open toilets to fall into, etc.) natural behaviors are the best for both physical and emotional health. Donā€™t sweat the rest.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
I really like wrenchā€™s suggestion on desensitization.
Itā€™s an important thing for parrots thatā€™s also talked about a lot and should continue that way!
Parrots are prey animals so itā€™s true that they will (some more than others) be afraid of almost anything new. Or anything unfamiliar to them.
That could be humans AND objects. Even experiences.
Every time your bird gets near the countertop, reward that desired behavior with a high value treat!
As gradual progression is displayed, reward more and lots of praise along with good experiences on those surfaces. Like scritches, yummy food, or having foot toys to play with.
So all in all, reward desired behavior while also making the experience of floor and countertop time an enriching thing.

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
I really like wrenchā€™s suggestion on desensitization.
Itā€™s an important thing for parrots thatā€™s also talked about a lot and should continue that way!
Parrots are prey animals so itā€™s true that they will (some more than others) be afraid of almost anything new. Or anything unfamiliar to them.
That could be humans AND objects. Even experiences.
Every time your bird gets near the countertop, reward that desired behavior with a high value treat!
As gradual progression is displayed, reward more and lots of praise along with good experiences on those surfaces. Like scritches, yummy food, or having foot toys to play with.
So all in all, reward desired behavior while also making the experience of floor and countertop time an enriching thing.
Thank you! ā¤ļø

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
My CAG loves floors. (I expect most ground feeding parrots will). I also never worry about dirtā€”itā€™s kinda what ground feeding is all about. Perching birds, OTOH, will have a natural inclination to avoid such things. I wouldnā€™t worry about that either.

Iā€™d advise to let the bird do as much of what it prefers thatā€™s safe and healthy. (No wires to chew on, open toilets to fall into, etc.) natural behaviors are the best for both physical and emotional health. Donā€™t sweat the rest.
He is a perching bird! Thatā€™s a great point. Heā€™s just being instinctual. I think Iā€™ll set up a purge on my island so he can watch me make breakfast for him. šŸ¦œšŸ˜

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
He is a perching bird! Thatā€™s a great point. Heā€™s just being instinctual. I think Iā€™ll set up a purge on my island so he can watch me make breakfast for him. šŸ¦œšŸ˜
Perch*

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee

Yes, good point. Heā€™s very stubborn. Yet so sweet! Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts