Hello from prospective bird owner/dad

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
I don't have a bird yet but I hope to have one fairly soon. Would appreciate any advice for getting started so we can properly spoil a lucky little birdie. I've been looking at bird info for a few weeks already so I guess I have most of the real general basic stuff down. No avocado, leave toilet lids closed, don't use teflon cookware etc, no problems there.

I've done some online quiz things and also today stopped by a pet store that has a few birds and really I've had seemingly conflicting info regarding what bird to get. My best guesses at the moment are Poicephalus, Budgie, Parakeet, Parrotlet... I think there were a couple others that looked like they may be a good match, I don't remember off hand. The guy at the pet store recommended a finch or parakeet but I looked at them and neither of those really tiny guys really spoke to me (wink wink).

About our home... my wife and I are in our 50's and my son in his 20's lives with us in our 2 bedroom apartment. We're all quiet and calm people (boring, haha) and we have all had dogs at some time or other. I actually grew up with a dog and have always been an animal lover but haven't had pets for many years. We will have a cage probably larger than is reasonable with lots of toys and whatever makes our little guy comfortable and happy while he has his alone time.

I'm usually away from home 9-10 hours a day and my wife maybe 5-6 hours. My son is out probably 6-8 hours a day and we're all on different schedules. I think between us we would have no problem giving a bird several hours of quality time per day. I would guess that would be like an hour or more of full attention plus quite a few hours of just "hanging out".

We're big youtube fans of cockatoos Max and Gotcha, but the volume levels of those birds and probably our lack of bird experience will rule out any or the larger parrots for now. We'll probably have a house next year so a cockatoo may become a possiblity but I really want to just have one bird. I feel it would be very unfair to bond closely with a small bird only to have him get upstaged later on by Mr Big Personality Bird.

What we would like... My son doesn't seem terribly interested at the moment but if he isn't attentive to our bird, he will at least be kind. My wife adores talking birds (she's crazy for the cockatoos) and I would be happy just to have a friendly cheerful little fellow that likes cuddles and skritches. I'll probably be teaching him tricks if he wants to learn (big eagle! haha). We wouldn't mind a fair amount of chatter but being in an apartment, we can't have a really loud bird.

Sorry for the long ramble but I just had to let it all out. Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice you care to share :)

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Hello welcome to the forum. If you really want a bird that talks your best bet would be visit a rescue and see which bird "chooses you". You will have a better understanding of personality and talking ability with an adult bird. If you want a baby then just know that there no guarantee you will get a talker. It sounds like you would better off going to a bird rescue or shelter and visiting some adult birds. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Be aware that all parrots big and small can be loud. I used to have a bee bee parrot , about the size of a parakeet , and man for a little bird he could be LOUD, so size is only one consideration. Visiting a rescue is a great idea, and who knows -that special bird could just find you! Rescue birds usualy have some issues but surmounting them is a rewarding challenge and some of the most heart warming stories on this board are aboutfolks who have rescued a 'unwanted' bird , only to find their true buddy

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Welcome! Glad you came and joined us :). After browsing our forum and taking a look into the different species, feel free to ask any questions that might come up. Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming new friend!

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
I would love to adopt from a rescue! I'll do some internet searching calling around. Also if anyone can recommend a good place in my area I would appreciate it. I'm in Denton Tx, just North of Dallas and Ft Worth.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
have you considered an eclectus? They have special dietary needs (MUST be fed mostly fresh fruit and veg), aside from that they are wonderful. They often like to be amonst the hustle and bustle without actually being part of it; They often like to be around you (on a playgym in the same room your in) but don't always have to be ON you.

They aren't super cuddly though. your not likely going to be doing hours of head scratching and petting (if I attempted that with my Parker...he would not be pleased). Their idea of fun times is just chilling on your shoulder.

They love to learn tricks and are generally great at learning them.

Their temperment is generally very calm and peaceful. They don't like a BUSY household (think home with 4 kids, friends over all the time). Parkers calling is kept to a minimum; he only screams when he sees someone outside the window. Shut the curtains and it goes away.

Great mimics too!

Good luck in your search!

OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Wow, looking at info and videos I've found on the eclectus, that looks like a great choice. I see on the parrtoforums.com "Which Parrot is For Me???" post, eclectus is listed as a "hard" bird. Is that just because of the diet then?

I have at least two natural/whole foods type grocery stores near me. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to pick up the proper fruits and veggies for the bird and cut them up once or twice daily. Or even leave them whole? Wild birds obviously don't need their food to be cut up, do pets need or prefer that? Also for the pellets or whatever supplements needed I would assume I could just order on the internet if my local pet supply stores don't have the right stuff.

Thanks for the tip, sounds like we might be onto something here!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yes, it's mainly the diet. But they an be prone to plucking if not properly cared for (diet, entertainment, etc). Your setup sounds great: lots of out of cage time, people around often but not in overhwhelming numbers.

My guy is very easy going. And because they are polygamist (polyandrous, actually but polygamist gets the point across), they have a natural propensity for enjoying the company of multiple people and not just one person.

Last edited:
OP
T

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Our bird definitely won't be neglected!

Also we've been talking about waiting until we get into a house (next year or so) before we get a bird. I think really we would both adore a cockatoo and if we're in a house we wouldn't have to worry about noise. I know they're not birds for first timers, but I'm hoping to learn enough to be able to do well for such a bird before we get one. Also would be great to get some actual experience but how can you do that?? I don't know anyone with any kind of bird, let alone a big intelligent one. I could try to volunteer at a rescue but the nearest place I have found is over an hour away and I doubt they'll need any help from someone with no experience...

Very cute picture by the way! thanks =)

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I think if you're life is stable and you do your research and are dedicated then you can get any species you want.

Most Reactions