Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Still have to decide which one to purchase
Hi every one :)

I have joined the forum because I am thinking about getting a pet parrots! I just love parrots, they are such amazing creatures and I have always been interested in sharing my life with a feathered friend but I don't wont to rush with my choice! One of the reasons of why I decided to join this forum is because i would like to get as much information from experienced bird owners that hopefully will help me become a knowledgeable bird owner. I don't really have any experience with bids, except that my grandparents used to have budgies and cockatiels .I am really happy that i found this forum as finally i can talk to experienced bird owners and hopefully i will make that right choice when purchase a parrot.

franny :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with a young Cockatiel. I'd get one who comes to you when you put your hand down to them.Maybe 12-14 wks old. Fancy colors are OK but IMO the "normal" ones are cheapest/ healthiest. Good Luck

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with a young Cockatiel. I'd get one who comes to you when you put your hand down to them.Maybe 12-14 wks old. Fancy colors are OK but IMO the "normal" ones are cheapest/ healthiest. Good Luck

Thank you for this great tip :) ill keep that in mind! Its just all the cockatiels my grandparents had seemed to be very unfriendly, all of them and they used to get a lot of attention from my grandparents! So i was more looking for a small parrot that can be trained quite easily! Any other suggestions?

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
What about Senegal parrots? i heared that they make great pets! But are they hard to train?

Thank you :)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

Have you thought about a Blue Crown Pionus? They are pretty laid back Birds.

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Welcome to the forum:)

Have you thought about a Blue Crown Pionus? They are pretty laid back Birds.

Thank you :)

And actually i never hear of the Blue Crown Pionus. But thank you for the suggestion, il make sure il look up some information on them! The only problem is because i live in such a tiny county, many species of parrots cannot be found and i think this is one of the species :/

ikylejm

Sep 29, 2012
You can get a cockatiel very friendly! You just need to take a little time to train it correctly. Senegals are great but can easily become aggressive at times and usually become one person birds. If you research you will find the bird for you. Where do you live? What parrots are common?

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
You can get a cockatiel very friendly! You just need to take a little time to train it correctly. Senegals are great but can easily become aggressive at times and usually become one person birds. If you research you will find the bird for you. Where do you live? What parrots are common?

Thank you so much for the great tips :) I live in Malta and quite a few types of birds can be found like budgies, cockatiels, macaws , African greys, lorikiets, , alexandrine parakeet, rosellas, plum head parrots, Eclectus Parrot, senegal parrots,parrotlet, some conures (sun conures) and more that i don't really know of!

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Sennies are good first birds, but if I was to do it over again I would probably started with something a little less tempormental. A meyers, Jardines, pionus, or cockatiel. Try aquiring Parrots for Dummies, there are descriptions of many bird species as well as info on how to best care for them.

I began my search with this site, that gives a brief overview of what major qualities different parrots have, then started my research after that.

Parrot Species Comparison Chart ?.Compare The Most Popular Parrot Species!

ikylejm

Sep 29, 2012
Malta, Nice! I agree with Karigan. I started off with an Umbrella Cockatoo, although I'm glad I did, I was not as prepared as I thought. All those bird can make great pets if you take the time and have the patience to train them. I don't know if you have green cheek conures available but they usually aren't so noisy and are really fun. Sometimes they can be nippy. I know people that say eclectus are easy birds, but they may be bigger than you want. They also have some special dietary requirements. Just take your time looking and researching. Don't rush into buying one or starting with a 'beginner' bird if you really want another.

084bar

Oct 17, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
blue/green indian ringneck "Peanut"
Welcome, you will love having a parrot, My husban said that he dose not like bird but now he loves them.... just takes sometime and reseach. I think the best bird to start with is the cockatiel, they fantastic bird and the easiest one to start with, they become very tame if you handle eveyday.... I have never tamed a budgie but believe they do become tame... Hope you find a bird you will love

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
For me, how can anyone not love a Cockatiel, I've owned and raised them for the past 16 years and they're still at the top of my list even though we have big birds too. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my big parrots but that's through years of experience before I started owning one. My tiel babies are the sweetest babies in the world as all the people who have gotten them from me before could tell you so. You just need to train them properly, IF they come pre-trained from the breeder, that's even better. It's quite easy for a experienced person to properly train them from the start. I do it to ALL my babies!!! I finally decided to bring a few babies to the bird fair last month and everyone kept coming to play with my birds as they're sweeter then any other breeder's tiels there. A lot of breeders just breed them to sale, NOT ME! I raise them with pride and love! IF your near by, I could show you just how nice Cockatiels are! I've been around LOTS of different type of birds, senegals is not one of my choice as it was mentioned, they can be very bitey. You just need to read up on the type of birds that you seem to gravitate towards then read up on them. Then ask questions here about those who owns them. Then go visit them and see them for yourself. Sometimes it's best to visit several types at a time, but don't just get it just because you fell in love with it, know the potential issues before you proceed. Just like a lot of people who dive into Cockatoos who later regret getting them because of the dust issue, plucking, biting, attacking, screaming, etc. A lot of the Conures are screamers, one of the worst type of screamers in my opinion that I can not stand....lol....and I own big birds....

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Sennies are good first birds, but if I was to do it over again I would probably started with something a little less tempormental. A meyers, Jardines, pionus, or cockatiel. Try aquiring Parrots for Dummies, there are descriptions of many bird species as well as info on how to best care for them.

I began my search with this site, that gives a brief overview of what major qualities different parrots have, then started my research after that.

Parrot Species Comparison Chart ?.Compare The Most Popular Parrot Species!

Thank you so much for all this! It really help :) Now i shall try and parches Parrots for Dummies and hopefully it will help with my choice! Just one more question, what do you think about the Indian ring neck? I was looking for a pet that can be trained fairly easily and that wont have temperament problems!

Thank you xxxx

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
What do think about quaker parrot? Are they easily trainable or ?

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Malta, Nice! I agree with Karigan. I started off with an Umbrella Cockatoo, although I'm glad I did, I was not as prepared as I thought. All those bird can make great pets if you take the time and have the patience to train them. I don't know if you have green cheek conures available but they usually aren't so noisy and are really fun. Sometimes they can be nippy. I know people that say eclectus are easy birds, but they may be bigger than you want. They also have some special dietary requirements. Just take your time looking and researching. Don't rush into buying one or starting with a 'beginner' bird if you really want another.

Green cheek conures aren't that common but can be found, il just have to wait! Eclectus do interest me a lot, they are quite big but that does't really bother me, its the character that interests me! I heard that eclectus parrot are quite similar to Indian ring necks, is this true? (If you would happen to know X3)
Thank you again :D

Most Reactions