Help me please with my Parrot, I'm new

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Mango - Poicephalus Jardine
So I've got my new Jardine Parrot three days ago, I absolutely know nothing about it, neither its age nor its gender (We don't have the leg band thing in my country, and I don't trust the pet store who told me it's 3 months old, around the iris is dark red and not black.)
This is my second parrot, I had an African Grey like 8 years ago but it died, I was small.
The thing is, I need someone's experience to explain me how stuff work. It jumps alot especially when I clap, or sometimes just at my sight, It even started to pronounce Birdy but I do feel it's scared. When I approche, it goes to the back corner of the cage and tries to get the head out, forcing itself through the metallic bars. I do hand feed it sunflower seeds and apples (Green Bellpepers made it poop green, it scared me) and I'm not sure about the wings clipping, I don't want this harmful process but I don't know if I'll be able to get it out of the cage with these pretty wings.
Sometimes when I put my finger through two bars it tried to bite it (but doesn't manage to, I'm fast) although it loves taking food from my hand. What should I do, should I keep this way for like monthes before trying to touch the bird and/or get it out of the cage, or should I try it now?
It's been 3 days since I got it but I've been told it was at someone else's house who just wants to sell it (probably to travel)
I need to talk to someone, someone who can help me and teach me basics. The petstore guy seems to hate teaching.

If You're able to help me, reply here or on my kik, HusseinBerjaoui
I'd be grateful

Last edited:

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Hussein and congratulations on your new feathered friend.....

Patience, it will take some time before he becomes comfortable with you and stops trying to get out of the cage when you come near...and...it will probably be longer before he allows you to pet/touch him, although he may begin to sep up long before he allows touching.....

Go ahead and feed him the green peppers if he likes them, they are good for him.....about the only things you do not want to feed a bird is caffeine, avocados, chocolate, salted foods, peanuts/monkey nuts that you buy un-sealed/raw in the souq.....there are lists, on the internet, of foods that are OK to feed your bird, with many being OK only after they have been cooked and dangerous when raw.....

Many foods will cause a a bird's poop to change color and fruits with a lot of juice or the bird taking a bath, will usually cause their poop to become watery.....

I wouldn't continue clapping your hands around the bird or it will cause the bird to be nervous and stressed...birds don't like loud noises.....

Good luck.....

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hello Hussein and welcome to a great place to learn and share about birds.

You wrote "When I approche, it goes to the back corner of the cage and tries to get the head out, forcing itself through the metallic bars."

I'll call your bird "he" for now. Is he actually getting his head through. If so, the cage bar spacing is too wide open for him and he'll need to be in a safer cage.

Can you post a picture of him inside his cage?

Try not to be nervous around the bird or do things that could frighten or startle him, like abrupt or loud noise, yelling, tapping or knocking on cage, lots of faces staring at him at once, or sticking things in and out of cage bars, like sticks fingers.

Be sure to change his water at least twice a day. If possible, use filtered or bottled water. Just about any kind of green veggie you have would be good to feed him, except avocado and green onions. Lettuce, kale, bell peppers, broccoli. Also, make sure bottom of cage is clean (no harsh chemicals for cleaning).

You'll learn way more by reading up on Jardines on the internet than you'll learn from asking the pet store guy that isn't interested in teaching.

Looking forward to seeing a photo.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Mango - Poicephalus Jardine
Thank you for your concerns everybody !
I'm feeling it's a He since the area around the iris is kinda red and not brown.
He actually allowed me more than once to touch his beak but when I move upper to his forhead and touched it, he made a non-noisy funny sound and changed his position.
How do I exactly bath him? And how often?
I'll post a photo as soon as I figure out how

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Hi Hussein! You've come to the right place for some help, people here are very helpful. Best of luck with your new friend.

Most Reactions