Help Me Please

Rickyt

Oct 21, 2012
Newport NC
Parrots
Baby Girl- Quaker Parrot
Crazy- Black Capped Conure
Tarzan- Sun Conure
So about a month ago I took in a Quaker Parrot that is believed to be a female. She belonged to a guy for 5yrs. He fell on hard times and ended up giving her to a lady whom decided to get rid of the bird after two weeks because she couldnt take the biting. I now have her and she is doing ok but she is EXTREMELY cage aggressive. She has removed skin several times and if you even get your hands close enough to her cage to change food or water she attacks what can I do?? When i finally get her away from the cage she is fine as long as nobody else tries to mess with her while she is with me.:confused:

trixiecharger

Oct 7, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot
I have an Alexandrien Parrot that did the same thing. He is 3 and is cage aggressive, but when we got him out he is fine!. I kept working with him, allowing him time in the morning to adjust to waking up before I would try to get him out. After about 30 mins of talking to him and being near his cage , he would climb to the top perch and lean forward...I would then SLOWLY put my hand in the cage and say step up the entire time! After about 2 weeks he started talking, saying Echo HI...step up! Good boy!! Echo Good Boy!!!!!!! and now hes my baby boy!!!

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
I would not use bare hands when trying to remove the bird from the cage. You could use a perch for the bird to step up or just use gloves. I prefer the perch because the gloves will make the bird afraid of your hands. Then take the bird to a different room and spend time with it. I hope this helps you, Peace to you.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
talk to it through the cage. and try to feed it seeds/nuts through the cage. this will get some tust going. she probably wont take food from you to start, but keep working. once she readily take food through the bars, open the door but keep her in and give her food. slowly move your hand to her and when she freaks out, stop and move back like an inch and hold there. once she is comfortable at that distance, slowly go closer and continue this until you can taouch her feet(giving treats as you get closer) eventually you should be able to hold her. good luck, hope i healped!

Most Reactions

Latest posts