Help❗️Strange Dropings

Blank_boyo

Jul 10, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi my names Sean, I’m new to this forum and I’ve been interested into parrots for a while now. I’ve had a green cheek conure named Joey for five years now and today whilst I let him roam around my room I noticed one of his droppings was more red in color. I put him back in his cage and see if he’d poop so I could take a better picture. I’m going to go an avian vet tomorrow but I wanted to look for help and any advice, because I’m unsure if this red color is from the red dried peppers that are usually in his food since his droppings were green before I fed him or if it’s something serious like other sources say? He’s been acting completely normal aside from these droppings so I don’t know if he’s sick or not.
anything is appreciated,

thanks, Sean.
08C1C3E5-A5F6-43CF-8C29-3DD1D6A5645D.jpeg

7D2F5E8B-0472-4987-860C-323223D5C22C.jpeg
1619B2F8-1146-4A74-A00C-7DDB0C9DC0B4.jpeg
3C49D7C5-AD0B-4D3D-9B88-FF9B7699A859.jpeg
7D2F5E8B-0472-4987-860C-323223D5C22C.jpeg
A4F9F879-955C-4A0D-B290-7239DE36F7E0.jpeg

It’s awesome that you’re already taking him to the vet! I’ve never fed dried pepper that I can remember (nothing wrong with it though, it’s a great source of vitamin A!) but I can say from experience that fresh red pepper poop can often look quite alarming.

Red fruits or vegetables will result in red droppings. Transit time inside the bird is so short that those colors stick around. For example blueberries or blackberries give purple poops.

How is your conure now? Is he ok?

Hi my names Sean, I’m new to this forum and I’ve been interested into parrots for a while now. I’ve had a green cheek conure named Joey for five years now and today whilst I let him roam around my room I noticed one of his droppings was more red in color. I put him back in his cage and see if he’d poop so I could take a better picture. I’m going to go an avian vet tomorrow but I wanted to look for help and any advice, because I’m unsure if this red color is from the red dried peppers that are usually in his food since his droppings were green before I fed him or if it’s something serious like other sources say? He’s been acting completely normal aside from these droppings so I don’t know if he’s sick or not.
anything is appreciated,

thanks, Sean.View attachment 41909
View attachment 41907View attachment 41908View attachment 41906View attachment 41907View attachment 41910
Try catching his poop on a white paper towel. Its much easier to see the exact color that way and bring the poopy paper towel to the vet with you. Dont worry too much, though. Things in the diet can make a bird's poops very alarming colors!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back