Help Taming

leafexn

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Two budgies
The budgie I bought back in August is a really tough bird to tame. I've tried taming her the same way I tamed my other bird (who is very close and friendly with me, flies onto my head whenever he pleases, likes kissing, etc.) But that didn't work, so eventually I'd just sit down for hours with millet far enough where she didn't feel cornered but she'd never come closer. Even now she's very afraid of me, any time I come close to the cage she backs into a corner, any time she flies near me it's by accident and she immediately flies away, she's terrified of me :(. I'm not sure what to do since she isn't food driven, and I tried calming her by teaching my other bird tricks near her so she can see I'm not dangerous, but still nothing. I can't cut her nails so I have to take her to the vet but I know grabbing her and putting her in a carry case will set back any progress I may not be seeing. Any advice? Are our personalities just not compatible? I've thought about rehoming her but my other bird is already very attached to her so it would break my heart to take her away from him.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
One word: patience.
Here's a few links:

Most Reactions

Latest posts