Help With my baby Eclectus

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
Hello, I bought this adorable baby Eclectus from local store which imported him from South Africa I believe, problem is I don't know how old is he exactly it's note written on his bracelet and the store says he "might be" 3 months old

Can someone tell me how old he is judging from pictures?
second thing he doesn't much... I tried 3 formula brands including the one I got with the bird from the store. could anyone please tell me what is the best Eclectus baby food they had luck with ? currently he only eat 5ml max then he start to attack the syringe. if not feeding he is so quite and not aggressive at all
he like to handout on my chest or sleep.

26139d1619385780-help-my-baby-eclectus-4.jpg

26138d1619385756-help-my-baby-eclectus-3.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by a moderator:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
where are you located? Can you take him back to where you got him until he is fully weaned? This sounds alarming. They MUST eat a lot and often... there are a lot of rules to feeding unweaned babies in terms of temperatures, brooders etc..

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
where are you located? Can you take him back to where you got him until he is fully weaned? This sounds alarming. They MUST eat a lot and often... there are a lot of rules to feeding unweaned babies in terms of temperatures, brooders etc..

Kuwait and no I can't.
I have a brooder and food temp around 40c-41c. I have a baby African gray with 0 issues I had him when he was 1 month now he is 2 months.

Why its alarming ?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I'm alarmed because you implied that you are having trouble getting him to eat and they need food so desperately at that age and because you aren't sure of his actual age. Maybe I misunderstood.

Did you quarantine him from your grey to prevent illness among potentially asymptomatic cases?

I dk if this helps, but here is a nice resource: https://hari.ca/hari/research-facil...cine-pediatrics-housing-feeding-baby-parrots/

Last edited:
OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
Both birds came with medical certificate and they are now different rooms just in case

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Both birds came with medical certificate and they are now different rooms just in case

The diseases that 99.999% of breeders all over the world do not test for are ABV, PDD and PBFD (because it is very pricey). I am not saying he has either, but if things go wrong (**knock on wood, they will not**) then make sure you do a necroscopy in the event that it is disease. They are far more common than people think.

I am glad you separated them and I wish you luck--- other members may chime in.

Eclectus are really tricky as they have a unique digestive system and can actually over-dose on vitamins. Is the formula you are using designed for eclectus? The pellets that are safe for most parrots are not safe for them, which is why I ask.

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
The store give me food called: NutriBird A21
I tried intune didnt work either

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
Nice I’m no pro but I bought a pair soon as they were weened off formula . 3 months the beak turns yellow as he gets older . Looks like he is less then mine we’re at 3 months . google baby food for him I’m sure there are plenty of mail order places to buy it. there also might be readily available local items . I raised a few birds younger then him . often yes maybe 4 hours or so. please post as he gets older . Look up a few rescue sights on Facebook , not sell or give away just for info.

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
Nice I’m no pro but I bought a pair soon as they were weened off formula . 3 months the beak turns yellow as he gets older . Looks like he is less then mine we’re at 3 months . google baby food for him I’m sure there are plenty of mail order places to buy it. there also might be readily available local items . I raised a few birds younger then him . often yes maybe 4 hours or so. please post as he gets older . Look up a few rescue sights on Facebook , not sell or give away just for info.

I strongly believe it is the food but I will go a head and seek info from resue sites.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I try to be cautious about advising on handfeeding - I have a fairly strict rule that if I haven’t performed it myself I shouldn’t advise on it.

However, whenever I hear about an eclectus chick not eating much, the first thing that comes to mind is the temperature. Ekkie chicks can be very picky about the temperature of their formula. Miss the temperature by a couple degrees and the chick will reject it. Make sure you are using a thermometer to get accurate temperatures.

As for his age, the beak color can BEGIN to change around 3-4 months but doesn’t fully color up until a year old or more. A lot depends on how saturated the black is. In the photo there, definitely under 4 months old would be my guess.

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
I try to be cautious about advising on handfeeding - I have a fairly strict rule that if I haven’t performed it myself I shouldn’t advise on it.

However, whenever I hear about an eclectus chick not eating much, the first thing that comes to mind is the temperature. Ekkie chicks can be very picky about the temperature of their formula. Miss the temperature by a couple degrees and the chick will reject it. Make sure you are using a thermometer to get accurate temperatures.

As for his age, the beak color can BEGIN to change around 3-4 months but doesn’t fully color up until a year old or more. A lot depends on how saturated the black is. In the photo there, definitely under 4 months old would be my guess.

Thank you so much for you reply, I wen the store where I got him from and a worker told me he is little bit above 1 months and half because his brothers and sisters all 1 months and half and they just started to get feather my baby is not fully feathered so I guess yeah he is about 7 weeks max.

Tomorrow I'm receiving thermometer hopefully thing getting better for this little boy and will keep you all updated.

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
Hmmm. I think he is older than that.
134f17832d56c0e0bcd673a6ba1a3111.jpg

This is Paprika when I brought her home and she was 7-8 weeks, and didn’t have anywhere close to the feather growth your boy is showing.

If the baby refuses to eat large amounts it could be from stress of the trip and adjusting. Don’t stop trying to feed. Monitor his weight. Make sure you have some spray millet in the weaning box for him to try to pick on. I am only speaking from my experience of hand feeding, which is limited. We have a GCC who first didn’t want to eat when he came home. But two days later he was eating like a champ. If you are going to be successful at handfeeding the biggest key is having patience with the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
I stand corrected. I went back and looked through my timeline of photos for Paprika’s growth since I got her. I think you are probably between the 7-9 week mark. That original photo is from 6 weeks, that’s when I got her.

And yes the others will yell at me for the hand feeding of her too :). I’m just stubborn.

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
Hmmm. I think he is older than that.
134f17832d56c0e0bcd673a6ba1a3111.jpg

This is Paprika when I brought her home and she was 7-8 weeks, and didn’t have anywhere close to the feather growth your boy is showing.

If the baby refuses to eat large amounts it could be from stress of the trip and adjusting. Don’t stop trying to feed. Monitor his weight. Make sure you have some spray millet in the weaning box for him to try to pick on. I am only speaking from my experience of hand feeding, which is limited. We have a GCC who first didn’t want to eat when he came home. But two days later he was eating like a champ. If you are going to be successful at handfeeding the biggest key is having patience with the bird.

congratulation for this adorable baby ^^
I believe you are right about the traveling + I made a mistake this boy at his current age need to be in temp around 30C-31C and they are so sensitive and picky when it comes to temp. when I made the brooder temp 31 from 28.5 and that made huge impact !! He went from sleeping to full energy mode and crying to have more than 30cc of food !

Read the attached article and what lovely members told me here made my life and his life much easier

Unweaned eclectus parrot shouldn't be sold even for people who have some experience like me :)

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
I stand corrected. I went back and looked through my timeline of photos for Paprika’s growth since I got her. I think you are probably between the 7-9 week mark. That original photo is from 6 weeks, that’s when I got her.

And yes the others will yell at me for the hand feeding of her too :). I’m just stubborn.

maybe 5 weeks because I saw 6 weeks babies at the store today and they were more feathered.

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Thank you. Paprika is almost a year old now. You can see a more recent photo in my other post about her being hungry.

Basil, my male, will be 24 years in November.

OP
R

Redwyne

Apr 25, 2021
Just little update...
Sadly I got a sick baby eclectus... he wasn't eating well because he is sick it's been confirmed by a vet.
He is been vomiting ( shaking head ) for the last 3 days and last night he start to breath heavily so I called a vet and he came to my house to see him and told me he is sick and might pass away :( He gave him 2 injections in the chest and told me to give him medications for 5 days and told me if he make it in the upcoming 24hrs of the injections he might be ok :(

I had contacted a guy who bought a female baby eclectus from the same local store and he told me his baby is suffering from the same illness so I strongly believe that the store imported sick babies..

I wish and pray that he make it.

Most Reactions