Hi all! New bird mom (1st timer here)

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Hi!

I’m Kelsey, I already made a original post about bonding with my new baby conure. But I should have introduced myself first.
I am a wi8+ year Vet tech, full time job and mom to both human and birds. (Disclaimer:I know the amount of time I need to spend with my birds and I interact with them with my kiddos). I am excited to be here to learn and grow with my little babies.
I have 4 month male Budgie named Sonny and a baby Conure (I need help determine an estimated age).

I have an appointment with a local vet to learn more about their diet, behavior, etc.

I already posted my picture with my other post but I’ll add them here too just for tax.

I would love some help guessing age because curiosity is killing me.

Clyde and his goofy self
C3655C1E-9ABA-4D96-82E2-BED1C7916B2E.jpeg

Sir Sonny of the perch: (he’s is in the quarantine cage)
79B29FBA-5547-474B-91E6-942199E12323.png

:)
-Kelsey

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Once a parrot gets their adult feathers in, there is no hardcore way to tell their age. Yes some will say look at the this and that, but that is only a vague estimation of the age. IRN's and those family of parrots can sometimes gain the neck ring of feathers which can approximate the age , but once that ring is established, they too are impossible to exactly know their age. In example, my yellow shoulder amazon Salty' species is supposed to get yellow thighs when an adult. He is 6 and change now, his thighs are yellow, but not completely, and there is no set amount of yellow there to be able to say, yes he's 10yrs old now that most of his yellow thigh is present. It does not recognize the difference in individuals. SOme may only get a touch of yellow there, some will display a lot more yellow earlier.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
You sound like our kind of folks. I'm so glad you found us!

Would you like some more vet info?
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.

Good for you for reaching out and being open-minded!

9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Welcome and be welcomed. Once a parrot gets their adult feathers in, there is no hardcore way to tell their age. Yes some will say look at the this and that, but that is only a vague estimation of the age. IRN's and those family of parrots can sometimes gain the neck ring of feathers which can approximate the age , but once that ring is established, they too are impossible to exactly know their age. In example, my yellow shoulder amazon Salty' species is supposed to get yellow thighs when an adult. He is 6 and change now, his thighs are yellow, but not completely, and there is no set amount of yellow there to be able to say, yes he's 10yrs old now that most of his yellow thigh is present. It does not recognize the difference in individuals. SOme may only get a touch of yellow there, some will display a lot more yellow earlier.
That is extremely helpful. I was told he was fairly young. Thank you for the information!

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Welcome. Gorgeous kids. Some colors can be sex linked but I have no idea
I read the conures are only tested male or female. I rather not stress my guy out so I’ll assume he’s a boy cause Clyde fits him so well!

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
You sound like our kind of folks. I'm so glad you found us!

Would you like some more vet info?
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.

Good for you for reaching out and being open-minded!

9lhIlM0.jpg
The vet that specialized with birds in my city has since retired and the vet that I’m going to has been working with exotics since the 80s. They have a specialized Tech to help handle feisty guys such as my two. They accommodated the fact they’re not the tamest birds yet. I’ve looked for some with in 100 miles but nada. I’m sad that the bird lady (the whole vet community knows her as that) has retired. When is comes to birds she has super powers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts