Hi Everyone, i'm new on here. I recently brought back home an Indian Ringneck Parakeet from a pet shop in December last year.

Clovers Dad

Feb 14, 2023
Johannesburg, South Africa
Parrots
Love Bird called Ortus and Indian Ringneck Parakeet called Clover.
The pet shop said Clover was still a baby, judging from the breeding seasons here in South africa i'm guessing he/she was either 3 months old or 1 year and 3 months old.

Clover is used to my presence and voice now, always happy and calm to see me but hates to see my hands. I've tried everything since i got him more than 2 months ago, but Clover is stubborn and still refuses to interact with me intimately.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The pet shop said Clover was still a baby, judging from the breeding seasons here in South africa i'm guessing he/she was either 3 months old or 1 year and 3 months old.

Clover is used to my presence and voice now, always happy and calm to see me but hates to see my hands. I've tried everything since i got him more than 2 months ago, but Clover is stubborn and still refuses to interact with me intimately.
I heard that if after you get your bird very comfortable with your face up close, put your hands near your face and touch your face until your bird learns that your hands are part of you and are harmless just like your face is. Its worth a try. As for your birds age and "breeding seasons", there certainly are breeding seasons in the wild based on length of the day and amount of rainfall, meaning long days to feed chicks and abundant food. In captivity, however, length of day is pretty artificial due to indoor lighting and food is always abundant. Your baby could have hatched any time of the year.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just keep at it. Ringnecks are notoriously stubborn and also known for hand shyness. Lots of treats given by hand is gonna help. 2 Months is a drop in the bucket for parrots.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I heard that if after you get your bird very comfortable with your face up close, put your hands near your face and touch your face until your bird learns that your hands are part of you and are harmless just like your face is. Its worth a try. As for your birds age and "breeding seasons", there certainly are breeding seasons in the wild based on length of the day and amount of rainfall, meaning long days to feed chicks and abundant food. In captivity, however, length of day is pretty artificial due to indoor lighting and food is always abundant. Your baby could have hatched any time of the year.
Two months sounds like a long time for people but it’s short time for a bird.
I had a Cockatiel that was hand shy.
took 2 years to get her to the point of stepping up about 50% of the time.
As stated above she liked my face (no accounting for taste) and would groom my eyebrows and mustache. Gradually she got use to my hands being close At the same time.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We are a year in on Sam and she still can’t decide if hands are for pets or chewing; she’s very quick to change her mind!

It’s awesome that she already is acclimated to your presence. I had a Timneh African Grey that made me fall in love with medium sized parrots; she had a playstand she refused to land on or touch for over three months! And that was even with her favorite treats on it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts