kyladoodle

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
Lovebird šŸ•Šļø
Hi everybody- iā€™m Kyla from NZ. Crazy about parrots - I had a lovebird named Tangelo that unfortunately got sick and passed Dec 2022. I have since adopted an 8year old Rainbow Lorikeet by the name of Gizmo - loving Tangelo and learning from him enabled me to be a savior for this lori, as she couldnā€™t remain in her current home. Anyhow, Iā€™m open to any advice/suggestions for newcomers with lorikeets, or just a conversation about birds!! Thanks!! ā˜ŗļøā˜ŗļøā˜ŗļø

Attachments

• BEF6F476-B87A-473E-95F4-DC51816F1329.jpeg
    BEF6F476-B87A-473E-95F4-DC51816F1329.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 32

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you and Gizmo, and I'm so sorry for your loss of Tangelo. What a beautiful boy he was.
We have a Remembrance Forum if you like to write about Tangelo.

Our resident expert in Lorikeets is @LaManuka , I'm sure she'll be along soon:)

I'm so happy you joined us and I'm looking forward to getting to know you:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi everybody- iā€™m Kyla from NZ. Crazy about parrots - I had a lovebird named Tangelo that unfortunately got sick and passed Dec 2022. I have since adopted an 8year old Rainbow Lorikeet by the name of Gizmo - loving Tangelo and learning from him enabled me to be a savior for this lori, as she couldnā€™t remain in her current home. Anyhow, Iā€™m open to any advice/suggestions for newcomers with lorikeets, or just a conversation about birds!! Thanks!! ā˜ŗļøā˜ŗļøā˜ŗļø
Welcome to the Forums, @kyladoodle and Gizmo! I too am very sorry for your loss of lovely little Tangelo, that pic you posted of him is totally adorable šŸ’ It's always nice to welcome another member from the Southern Hemisphere as well - which part of NZ do you live in? I have been fortunate enough to visit there many times, it's such a very beautiful part of the world!

I am far from expert with rainbow lorikeets, having had two purple crowns previously, and I am currently the custodian of a Varied Lorikeet called Lovejoy, (he says "hi" too by the way!). They share some traits in common with Rainbows to be sure, but being much smaller they are overall much less of a handful than a Rainbow can be - although it must be said that my purple crowned hen Lilly gave me her fair share of trouble during her breeding seasons! I'm happy to share whatever info I can with you if it will help you though, and help Gizmo to settle in with you. I found a lot of good info in the links below which were actually written by some lorikeet breeders in NZ, the webpage is a bit old now but the info is still relevant. The first link focuses mostly on behaviours while the second one goes to their homepage ...

Again, welcome to the forums, and thank you for giving Gizmo a wonderful new home - I'm so pleased to have the two of you aboard!

Last edited:

Zainabals

Nov 22, 2023
Media
Albums
Kuwait
Parrots
Lorikeet
Hey Kyla my name is Zainab.
I used to have lovebird as well and I learnt so much from him.

I just joined the website a week ago.
I have a juvenile rainbow lorikeet named E.B.

He is super playful.

How is Gizmo doing? Any updates?

Any tips for a new lorikeet owner?

There isn't as much detailed information like other birds on the internet. Any online information Iā€™ve probably read already hehe

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
Welcome to you and Gizmo, and I'm so sorry for your loss of Tangelo. What a beautiful boy he was.
We have a Remembrance Forum if you like to write about Tangelo.

Our resident expert in Lorikeets is @LaManuka , I'm sure she'll be along soon:)

I'm so happy you joined us and I'm looking forward to getting to know you:)
if you ever meet someone who talk's about parakeet's with four im a semipro so maybe you could say me šŸ˜

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
Welcome to the forums hello birb lover!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts