Hi! I'm a soon-to-be GCC mom!

AngelaB

Jul 19, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Parrots
We have a male yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure and a female Maroon-bellied Conure.
Hi All!

I live with my husband and two children (8 & 10) in a condo in MD. We lost my son's pet canary a couple of months ago and have been shopping for a new bird. I was raised in a household that had a Blue-Front Amazon, two lovebirds, two cockatiels, and a parakeet. (Not all at the same time entirely, but there was some overlap!)

I'm interested in a companion parrot that can live in an apartment (ie. isn't too noisy), but could learn to say a few words. The GCC seems to be a good bet. I've found a breeder in NC and am tentatively planning to bring my bird home at the end of the month.

Any advice for a newbie? I'm still trying to decide what I need to buy right away (versus waiting on) and where the bird will live in my open floor plan home. Thanks for any words of wisdom!

_/|\_

Angela

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Im a soon to be GCC mom too! :)
My only advice is to do as much research as you can. I have learned a lot here... I suggest you subscribe to Bird Talk magazine. Theres lots of info in there and you can get it for as low as 8.00 for 12 issues!

brighteyes

Aug 24, 2011
Media
on a farm in south vic Austrailia...
Parrots
The very proud owner of a new baby sun conour !
Hello Welcome !
One thing l have learn,t is not to by a round bird cage ! They tell me a bird does not feel safe !
Also kitchens are not very safe places to keep your bird , did you know a non stick fry pan is toxic too your bird !
Conures are my dream bird also , I hope you know they are very very loud , I myself have a loud family so we needed a bird with a big beak ha ha !
Good luck looking forward to seeing some pic soon *

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I was told that green cheeks are very popular right now and being over bred (which can lead to inbreeding and health problems) due to the demand, so it's important to buy from a reputable breeder!

Other than that, I've heard that they're great birdies, and generally relatively quiet. I don't know any myself, but I have a friend who just got one and she says her bird is very quiet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts