New to adulting, not to birds :D

SofisZooHouse

Jun 23, 2023
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Roy: Green Cheek Conure
Hi my name is Sofi and I just recently got my first Green Cheeked Conure as an adult. Growing up we had a red Conure(I don't know his exact species) named Max and three Budgies named Rosa, Remi, and Mini Max. I named my GCC Roy and am thinking about getting him a mate. I don't want to rush into it at all so we are going really slow and I'm starting with upgrading his cage. He is currently in a 24X24x26 inch cage but I dislike a lot of things about it(ESPECIALLY how small it is ☹️). It was the only one I could find with the proper spacing on the wires so instead I'm planning on making my own.

I am in need of help with finding a good wire mesh for the custom build. My husband and I found a great amazon page that sells milled Poplar and hardwood birch dowels that I will use for the frame (as well as rounded dowels for custom perches), but I cant find ANYTHING for non-galvanized wire, cage sides, or anything that is small enough so his little head doesn't get stuck. I have seen mixed messages on the galvanized metals, and while he isn't much of a cage climber he likes to chew on everything which I am assuming will transition to the wires eventually. He leaves them alone when he's in his cage now but I am just worried about any heavy metal ingestion. If anyone has keywords that I could search for that I'm missing in my bird vocabulary, or if there is a good website to find chewer-friendly wire that would be amazing! He doesn't try to destroy wire or anything but he's just a curious nibbler so if it's not as sturdy but isn't galvanized I think that would work too especially since I don't mind doing a lot of patch work(we live with horses so I'm always fixing fences somewhere 😉).

Anyway, we have been bonding the last month and 1/2 and he is just doing so great, mostly free roaming since I work from home, and he absolutely loves himself when he can find a mirror in the house haha! I will post some pictures in response if I am able to find them in my mess of files. His favorite treat is sunflower seeds for training, and he really enjoys his pellets and fresh foods. I got lucky with him not being picky like my birds growing up were.

Thank you all for being such an amazing community,
👧 Sofi
:gcc:Roy

Rest in peace
:rainbow1: Max
:whiteblue: Rosa
:yellow2: Remi
:greenyellow: Mini Max

and maybe someday
:blue::white1::red1::orange:🐓🦚

Last edited:

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Welcome!
For a cage I'd only ever use Stainless steel mesh or power coated. Hopefully someone in your country will be along soon and can point you in the right direction on where to find those.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
EDIT: Added the picture and video I was able to find on my computer of baby Roy

Hi my name is Sofi and I just recently got my first Green Cheeked Conure as an adult. Growing up we had a red Conure(I don't know his exact species) named Max and three Budgies named Rosa, Remi, and Mini Max. I named my GCC Roy and am thinking about getting him a mate. I don't want to rush into it at all so we are going really slow and I'm starting with upgrading his cage. He is currently in a 24X24x26 inch cage but I dislike a lot of things about it(ESPECIALLY how small it is ☹️). It was the only one I could find with the proper spacing on the wires so instead I'm planning on making my own.

I am in need of help with finding a good wire mesh for the custom build. My husband and I found a great amazon page that sells milled Poplar and hardwood birch dowels that I will use for the frame (as well as rounded dowels for custom perches), but I cant find ANYTHING for non-galvanized wire, cage sides, or anything that is small enough so his little head doesn't get stuck. I have seen mixed messages on the galvanized metals, and while he isn't much of a cage climber he likes to chew on everything which I am assuming will transition to the wires eventually. He leaves them alone when he's in his cage now but I am just worried about any heavy metal ingestion. If anyone has keywords that I could search for that I'm missing in my bird vocabulary, or if there is a good website to find chewer-friendly wire that would be amazing! He doesn't try to destroy wire or anything but he's just a curious nibbler so if it's not as sturdy but isn't galvanized I think that would work too especially since I don't mind doing a lot of patch work(we live with horses so I'm always fixing fences somewhere 😉).

Anyway, we have been bonding the last month and 1/2 and he is just doing so great, mostly free roaming since I work from home, and he absolutely loves himself when he can find a mirror in the house haha! I will post some pictures in response if I am able to find them in my mess of files. His favorite treat is sunflower seeds for training, and he really enjoys his pellets and fresh foods. I got lucky with him not being picky like my birds growing up were.

Thank you all for being such an amazing community,
👧 Sofi
:gcc:Roy

Rest in peace
:rainbow1: Max
:whiteblue: Rosa
:yellow2: Remi
:greenyellow: Mini Max

and maybe someday
:blue::white1::red1::orange:🐓🦚
It's very hard to find a supplier that sells ungalvanized bird cage wire but I have some ideas. You can buy used or cheap bird cages, small animal cages or playpens, take them apart, and use the sections of bars to create your own new cage. The Vision (Hagen) line of birdcages sells replacement panels for their cages. You can make your own cage using them or buy the front panel so you have a section with a door. You can minimize your need for cage wire by making the back and sides solid wood and attach perches to the solid panels. There are so many creative ways to design your own ideal bird habitat if you use your imagination.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! Roy is adorable!!

I don’t have advice on the DIY cage but did want to share with you the cage I use for my green cheek Conure if you are interested: https://www.chewy.com/prevue-pet-products-stand-playtop/dp/359395

If you did want to go the non DIY route you should be able to find several options with good bar spacing for a Conure on Chewy, Amazon, or Bird Cages for Less.

Most Reactions

Latest posts