Hi, I'm more than a newbie

love4bourkes

Aug 3, 2012
I have raised everything from dogs, cats, finches, regular parakeets (that was a challenge), mccaws. Well you get the idea. I went to the local bird store and fell in love with a rosy bourke. It was not the dark pink color, more washed out but a personally plus. It is a boy.

However I haven't been really able to see all the different colors of bourkes, I understand that rosey's are the most popular. Called another bird shop and said breeding season is over but I called a third store and they just got in rosey's and creams. My two favs so far.

I really would like a pair to one day breed them. Can you bread a rosey and a cream? Are you better getting two of the same color? The rosey's are liter than I would like, as I said, but if I bred two roseys would the color stay the same or get darker? Can they be splits? I know genetics enough to know that anyone who can explain this species would be greatly appreciated.

How old does the babies have to be to determine the sex? I know how to do it with older ones after the fist molt. I love this species because it is a quieter bird, sat on my shoulder for an hour at the store and fell asleep purching on my hand. I just fell in love.

I really want to do right by them (noticed I said them). Are you better getting more than one or keeping one if you want to have some bond with them. So many questions.

Food: Can you suggest food. I've been reading canary food. I'm not comfortable with that. Thought I would go to the pros here.

Last for now, how big is your cage and how many do you have in it. My sincerest thanks in advance for all those who will be getting carpal tunnel answering my post.

Is this truly a bourke forum or are there others you frequent. I really loved reading posts from this forum and hope it's the one I should be on.:confused:

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Sadly I can't help on this one as i only deal with amazons senegal's macaws and African greys there the main 4 I have researched the most and handled but welcome to the forums I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction

OP
love4bourkes

love4bourkes

Aug 3, 2012
Thank you for your warm welcome. I look forward to learning alot here.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Trust me you will learn alot from this lot they helped me a bunch and i have made some great friends on here I'm sure you will like the moderators they are super and i sure hope you get the awnsers you need for this species of bird and once again welcome :)

OP
love4bourkes

love4bourkes

Aug 3, 2012
I'm really excited about finding you pros. Now if I can get my questions answered for tomorrow, that's when I pick up my first bourke! I'm so excited!!!! May come home with two!!!!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
OP
love4bourkes

love4bourkes

Aug 3, 2012
First let me thank you all for your warm welcome. For my questions asked here should I post them under a different heading since no answers yet.

When I said I raised finches (still do), I don't hand feed. I have two pair of society finches that will feed a wall socket! lol They are great foster parents. They have raised CFW, BC, Penguins, etc.zebras as well as their own.

For the tiels, I use the syringes and speed feed. I personally find it easier especially if feeding 2 dozen babies at once.

BTW, how many Bourkes do you all have and what color is it? I can only get rosies.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
If your after awnsers to your questions try posting in the questions and awnsers section I'm sure some one will be able to help you out :)

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Hi and welcome, sorry but I know nothing about breeding, Good luck

Most Reactions

Latest posts