Hi :) New Member, New Birdie

teencie

May 8, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Parrots
1 Female Sun Conure (Nemo)
Hi Everyone,

My name is Tina and I'm going to be a new owner of a sun conure :orange: on Wednesday. I've been doing lots of research since my bf said we could get a bird, and so I decided on a sun conure! We are adopting her from a family that doesn't have time for her anymore and I am sooooooo excited!! She's one year old and apparently very friendly.

I'll post some photos once she's all settled in!

Tina :)

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Congrats on your new birdy. Make sure that when she gets home you guys dont try to push her too much to come out and be friendly and cuddle and what not. She might be scared, the change of homes could be very stressful for her. You can try giving her treats and talking calm. kinda let her go at her own pace for a while. There are plenty conure owners here, so if you ever have a question dont hesitate to ask :)

OP
T

teencie

May 8, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Parrots
Yeah I'm just bringing her home and putting her in her cage and then bf and me will just hang out in the living room and watch hockey or something just to let her have a look around and see what's new. I'm just fine to move at her pace, apparently she loves sunflower seeds so we'll make nice by giving her treats as she comes around. :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Very good advice. I'm always leary of those ads that state "We are sadly rehoming our bird because we just don't have time for them anymore." That usually spells DE-SOCIALIZATION to me. I would ask them to demonstrate how friendly their bird is before bringing it home.

I got a Senegal from a previous owner from Craigslist, which was 11 months old. The owner said that they hadn't been spending that much time with her lately because they got a new puppy and the puppy would try and eat the bird. So she hadn't been played with that much within the last few months.

Sure enough, when they brought the bird and cage to my home and I asked her to demonstrate how tame it was since she claimed it was hand fed, the Senegal (Tiki) tried to bite her a couple of times, but you could see where she wasn't really mean or vicious. So we agreed to take her. It only took me a couple of days to get her to stepping up and socializing with us and then with a month, she was a really cuddle bug.

So if this is your first bird experience, please go slow with the transaction, realize first hand what your getting into and take what the previous owners say with a grain of salt. Sun Conures can be NOISY BIRDS, which is why quite a few get rehomed. So if you live in an apartment, this could become an issue.

Now with Tiki, I didn't even open up her cage for the first two days and just let her get used to her new home and being around new people and activities. I just sat at her cage talked to her, read the newspaper to her and then the third day, she was ready to come out of her cage. It was love ever since.

I don't mean to rain on your happy day, but I believe in a person being well informed and Know exactly what their in for. So there shouldn't be any buyers remorse in the near future.

Good luck with your new baby.

OP
T

teencie

May 8, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Parrots
Thanks for replying. I do understand what I am getting into, this isn't my first experience with a bird--

I also realize that people aren't going to usually put "re homing evil, anti social and bitey bird" in their ad because they'd be out of luck trying to sell it. I don't really have a single expectation of the bird, I am going to treat this as if I had recieved an anti-social bird, and work slow and steady to gain her trust and friendship... Even if what her previous owner is telling me is true.

As for screaming, we live in a house with two dogs-- so we're fine with bird noise adding to our usual noise too-- I have done my reading about sun conures, and im fine with the noise, neediness and stubborness...i understand fully what I'm getting into. I'm not going into this impulsively or uninformed...

Thanks for expressing your concerns though.

Crackers

Apr 11, 2011
California
Parrots
"Crackers" Hahns Macaw
congrats on your new baby.

Dogs and any other animal noises do not compare to a screeching, screaming parrot IMHO! :)

Please post some pictures when you get a chance! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Any bird can be trained as long as you have experience or are eager to learn. Main thing is to learn to read their body language. Most of my birds I brought home were un-social birds, I don't mind it cause I know how to train them. Even my only evil bird is trained to step onto a perch. I leave him be cause he's more interested in his gf anyway. He's kinda insane...I used to own many Cockatiels, but this one is very crazy for some reason... To me things happen why people re-home, some are just idiotic, some are old and sick no longer can care for their beloved animals, some times bad things happen, etc. To me I don't care about all that, my only concern is how is the bird, is he healthy, is he eating, etc. Nothing else really matters when it comes to anything that can compromise the life on the animals that is being adopted.

Welcome to the forum! I'll be waiting to see the pictures of the new baby! :)

OP
T

teencie

May 8, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Parrots
Hello again all!

Yep we got our little girl one week ago today. So far she's settled in fantastically, she's even had a few cuddly moments letting me touch her wings and back while snuggling under my chin...

and of course, it took us a few days to change her name-- which was originally Sole, but is now Nemo ... :D

and here are a few photos!!

242794_10150607072835634_547650633_18859509_8291025_o.jpg

228759_10150607069600634_547650633_18859473_307820_n.jpg

242903_10150607070895634_547650633_18859488_7904093_o.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back