Home construction project and conure

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
I am in the middle of preparing for a small home construction project that is basically adding a wall to divide 2 rooms. In the past, the house construction projects were on different floors. This one will be on the same floor of the cage. The project is estimated for 3-4 days building and then completing with painting.

Should I worry about noise and the conure on the same floor? And what about texturing and painting? Nowadays is is low VOC paint but not sure if that is safe for the conure?

Thoughts and experiences are welcome.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your State places high requirements on what it allowed on-Island. But, Low VOC can still be a problem for 'birds.' Ventilation is critical and is best handled by simply removing the Parrot from the home for several days until the off-gassing is low enough to be safe. Note: Applying a thick coat can be seen as a method of reduction applications, but it will greatly increase the drying time.

Noise level can be an issue, but the number of people in the home can be just as much an issue. Attempt to complete as much of the prep-work outside bringing completed section(s) or boards in after cutting and/or assembly outside.

Adding a wall now-a-days is near unheard of unless you are creating a bedroom /bathroom. Open concept is such a selling point now-a-days that it is worth building in such away as to assure you can easily remove the wall if you elect to sell the home.

DRYWALL DUST! One of the most dangerous parts of home construction is drywall dust from sanding! When applying plaster, keep it thin as that will limit the need to sand. Also, when keeping the plaster thin, one can damp cloth sand and as a result completely eliminate any dust. But, it requires practice as too wet and you will need to add plaster, to dry and nothing happens. This approach is best used for smaller projects as compared to a full room. If you dry sand, remove your Parrot(s) from the home until the dust is gone.

OP
B

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
I am adding a bedroom. I do agree that open space is preferred these days and the house is laid out accordingly. It is just that the open space in one very large room is not utilized at all. An extra bedroom which serves as an office would have come in handy several times in the past.

It is fortunate that the construction area is located nest to sliding glass doors that lead to a patio. I expect as much of the cutting, etc will be done outside.

I appreciated your comments about noise not being a factor. That was something I was not sure.

I do have options to move the cage to a neighbor house for a few days. This allows me to keep in touch and avoid the uncertainty of vapors.

HottIsland

Feb 15, 2024
Wow, it's been four years since you posted about your home construction project! I hope everything went smoothly with your endeavor and that your living space is now exactly how you envisioned it. Reflecting on your concerns about noise and the safety of your conure during the construction process, I thought I'd share some additional insights.

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
I am in the middle of preparing for a small home construction project that is basically adding a wall to divide 2 rooms. In the past, the house construction projects were on different floors. This one will be on the same floor of the cage. The project is estimated for 3-4 days building and then completing with painting.

Should I worry about noise and the conure on the same floor? And what about texturing and painting? Nowadays is is low VOC paint but not sure if that is safe for the conure?

Thoughts and experiences are welcome.
I would definitely try to move the bird somewhere else, if the paint smell is strong for even you, imagine how the bird must feel. So i think it would be better if she is moved to a different floor

Most Reactions

Latest posts