Hoop Ball

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
For those of you who have seen these for sale, you know how expensive they are. One this size can cost up to $80. This is a great project that costs around $30 total, probably less. Now, this is large bird sized, so keep this in mind. I will try to get some directions for smaller ones, but it can make a great play gym, lol!
These are not my pictures, but I think this is a great DIY project. If you want to make on smaller, check your home improvement store for curved PVC peices or something similar.
You can get this stuff at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes:

Here's what you'll need:
4 hula hoops
8 packs of 25 ft long Ply Rope (this can be found in Walmart's boating section)
2 pack of Stainless Steel 1/4 inch diameter 2&1/2 inch long eyebolts
(you will need 2 packs for hanging toys. get 2 anyways b/c they come in very handy)
1/4 inch lock nuts (get one pack with 4)
3/4 inch long #8 stainless steel screws (get 3 packs)
4 way, 1 inch PVC (there are some pics below so you get an idea)
pack of 1/4 inch washers

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Ok, lets start:

Here is a pic of the 4 hula hoops with the ply rope would around them. As you can see, the ends have been taped. You will use 2 packs of the 25 foot long poly rope (50 ft total per hula hoop.) You have to wind the rope around REALLY tight so it won't come undone. This can best be done with two people. One can wind the rope around while the other tightens (rotate, as hands do get sore)
HulaHoops.jpg

Now, the lengths of rope won't totally finish the hula hoop. That is OK!

Use the self locking nuts on the eyebolts so they can't come loose. I had to use "washers' on them to make them tighten up on the 4way. So add 1/4 inch washers to your list of supplies. If you want the eyebolts to "swivel" then don't tighten the "self locking" nuts all the way down. I like to have eyebolts on "both sides" of the 4ways so I can hang a toy in the center and also the very bottom eyebolt will allow me to hang a droppings catcher underneath later on when I make one. (Note) We have been installing eyebolts on both sides of the upper and lower 4 way connectors, that way you can add something in the middle to help hold the H/ball in shape so it won't start slumping down into an egg shape after it gets older. You can either use a toy with connectors on both ends or else a piece of stainless chain hooked at both ends with quick links.
4wayconectors.jpg

Here's a picture of the holes you need to drill in the 4way to install the eyebolts. Drill a 1/8 inch diameter hole as a guide(as shown on the left) "before" drilling the 1/4 inch one.
Drilled4ways.jpg

Here's a picture of the 1/8 inch holes you need to drill for the #8 stainless steel screws to go into. There is holes drilled top and bottom and staggered so the screws don't run into one another. The holes on one side of the 4way were drilled 3/8 of a inch from the end and the other side was drilled 5/8 of an inch from the end just to give ya an idea of distance. Two of the 4ways need the 1/4 inch hole in the middle for the eyebolts while the other two don't.
drilled4ways2.jpg

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Here's what the end of the hoop should look like after you cut off any excess hoop as you want the end to go up into the 4way far enough to make sure the screws go through the rope to hold it in place…or better still, if you already have some of the SS screws in place to hold the rope from coming loose. Recheck the rope to make sure it is still twisted up tight before putting it into the 4way to install the screws.
Cutandtapedhulahoop.jpg

Here's a picture of what I did to the ends to make "sure" they would not untwist or loosen back up. I installed a screw close to the end. It's the same #8 SS screw, 3/4 inch long, that is used in the 4ways. You'll need to buy an extra pack of screws to do it this way
ScrewedHulaHoops.jpg

Here's a picture of how the ends are all the way into the 4way before installing the screws to hold them in.
Just "pay attention" that the 4 way is in the right position to the curvature of the hoop before installing the screws. Put the screws on the outside of the 4way first and then put the ones in that are facing to the inside of the hoop. When the screw pulls up tight, then stop screwing it in or the screw will strip out in the plastic hoop.
Hulahoopendsbeforebeingscrewed.jpg

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Ok, now we can start the putting together:

Here's a pic of the two hoops that will make up the two inside hoops.
insidecuthulahoops.jpg

Here's the two inside hoops put together, with the red one in the background waiting to go on next.
finishedinsidehulahoops.jpg

This is a picture of the two outer hoops. They will also be the ones with the eyebolts in the 4ways.
outsidehulahoops.jpg

After you put the red one around the two inside hoops, you can install the yellow one also.
Almostfinishedatom.jpg

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Ok, time to put the finishing touches on:

You need to position the two sets of hoops in relation to one another like this. Note in the picture where the 4ways are located....top and bottom on the outside red and yellow hoops and on each side for the inner two hoops. Just keep working with it until everything looks like it should and is in place before tying it at the eight intersections where the 4 ways are not there.
FinishingtouchesAtom.jpg

Thats it! Please remember these are not my pictures or directions, but this is a great DIY project for anyone who want to try!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I nearly made one of these, managed to get one hoop covered before Bucc got to it and demolised it completely :( Am now gonna do one in secret then put it up, Hopefully hang toys off it so that they will distract him from killing the thing in a few secs. :D

OP
D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Yea, they get pretty excited! I did a variation of this on Harley's perch. Just took a half a hula hoop, wound the rope really tight and screwed it on each side of her perch so it formed a dome play top on the play stand. Lots of fun for her, I'll take pics!

Most Reactions

Latest posts