how important is bathing?

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
I get the feeling that bathing might be rather important but I've never seen the yna do it and the 'too only once in 2 years.

I've tried to carry Babybird to the kitchen sink or bathroom shower but she is afraid and reacts badly. The one time I saw her bathe was in a water dish staged on top of the cage waiting to be changed out in (Mad) Max's cage.

Somewhere we have a spray bottle, I know I need to find it or get another one.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
My YNA, under a year, loves the spray bottle. I take him out so I don’t wet the cage.

I started with a warm, soft mist...then a little cooler water. He spreads his wings and takes it in with total joy.

I asked here recently about frequency, and was told about twice a week when temps allow, but drafts never allowed. I was afraid too much might encourage plucking, but no one replied like that.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Amazons have no preening gland, unike oher parrots, so bathing is very inportant to them to maintain feather health and condition. Tyoically 2-3 times a week, conditions premitting ( not cold and no drafts).

Spray bottles usually have colored tips, which may be your parrots 'flash' color. If they spook at it, try one with a different tip. We use warm water sprayed into the air so it falls in a gentle mist onto Salty.

Your cockatoo comes from the Austrailian outback a very aririd area, and they produce a dusty powder that helps keep feather in conditon, so he may not need bathing as often as your Amazon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts