Howdy new member

Yellownape

Dec 19, 2011
CT
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the community. My name is Michael and I currently own a Yellow Nape Amazon named Slugworth. I did not name him as he was Uncles bird. My Uncle Bill (mothers brother) was diagnosed with terminal rectal cancer last March and he asked me if I would take and care for Slug as he is not going to be around for much longer. Slug was originally my Mothers bird but when she became ill with breast cancer back in 87' she asked Bill to take Slug. And now Sluggish again has to come to a new home courtesy of cancer.

I have had other birds in the past. We had a pair of Red Headed Congress and they were great but I had to find them a new home because they were so noisy my wife couldn't take it. She loved those birds but the constant noise just took its toll. Then I took in a Moluccan Cockatoo who was awesome. But that bird came from a really bad situation where he was kept in a cat carrier in a car by a drug addicted woman who got the bird from her boyfriend when he went to jail. The bird hated women as a consequence of being neglected by his female care taker. He was fine with me and I could handle him fine but he would go out of his way to attack my wife and being a very large bird with a dangerous beak I just couldn't keep him which really tore me up.

Enter Sluggie. Slug is a pretty good bird and we are not sure it is even a "he"? Uncle Bill told me it was a male but I have my doubts. Slug is quite vocal and usually isn't too annoying although if i am home and he hears my voice he will start sqwaucking and make a ruckus until I talk to him. He seems to want very much to always be in the center of things. I have him in the livingroom where we spend most of our time and that seems to help.

He definitely does not like my wife and has bitten her pretty severely on several occasions. This has caused some division between the wife and I because she really wants to interact with the bird and be able to handle him. He has also bitten me a few times which is not pleasant. The last time I tried to hold out to show him that biting would not get him anywhere but it was just to painful and I had to shake him off. It seems he only bites me when I don't pick him up regularly? He has a strange personality for sure and I still have not really had him long enough to figure it all out.

We do enjoy him and he is quite entertaining. Hopefully with time and experience we will all become closer and better mates. I need to trim his toe nails buy have not yet gotten up the courage to wrap him up and do this. I don't want him to get pissed off and start biting me all the time.

Anyway nice to be here and I hope to learn more as time goes on from the members here. Happy New Year to all!

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Welcome, Micheal! Amazons love to be the center of attention, that's for sure! Try having your wife offer Slugworth his favorite treat several times during the day. I'm having to do this with our new rescue YNA and my husband. Kazi adores me, but will attack my husband. So Kazi gets nutriberries and almond slivers from hubby and is finally starting to step up as long as I'm not around. If I'm around he's going to bite more often than not. But we're getting there!

How long have you guys had Slugworth? This is a pretty great place for info and Sally Blanchard has written an excellent e-book on Amazons and she has an excellent one on second hand birds. They are both well worth the money.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Micheal and welcome to the forum. Read though some of the threads and ask if you have any questions.Of course we're gonna bug you for pictures, so check out how to do that.Loads of great amazon people here with good advice,hope to see you around,Richard (capt and Jake the YN)

OP
Y

Yellownape

Dec 19, 2011
CT
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have always liked parrots/birds and have had many over the years but Sluggie is the first big parrot I have owned for an extended period of time. He is quite a challenge but I am hopeful with time he will warm up to us more and we will be able to really enjoy him fully. Here are some pics of the birds I have had over the last several years.

This is Sluggie. In the first and second pic you will notice a lump on his cheek. My uncle had this looked at by a vet who told him it wasn't anything to worry about. He said he could remove it but it would be expensive and it wasn't causing Slug any problem so he let it go. I may have him looked at by another vet just to be sure it isn't really something to be worried about and to find out how much it would cost to remove it.

6615762957_4eb2ee288f_b.jpg

6615761671_1489f4682c_b.jpg

6615712915_b67e09484b_b.jpg

6615713211_6905250a7b_b.jpg

This is Albert the Moluccan Cockatoo I had for a couple of months

6615710513_d3271082d3_b.jpg

And this is Buddie the Red Breasted Conure I had for many years

6615709923_66593222c5_b.jpg

6615703469_c1e80297de_b.jpg

6615697095_6b1fd66637_b.jpg

And here is some of the wild Monk Parakeets that we have living in the neighborhood. They come to the feeder in the winter time mostly.

6615869589_064dc9d1eb_b.jpg

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Micheal, i can tell you a little about the lump on Slug's cheek, i have several Yellow Napes with the same issue, Too Much Fat!!! ,i can watch the one on my hen Jake's cheek come and go according to diet.Too much people food is her problem, and on the other bird i have to limit sunflower seeds and feed 4% fat pellet or she has them too.Both of these birds are pets that eat too much people food (junk),with the breeder birds that are on a better diet it is not an issue.

Last edited:
OP
Y

Yellownape

Dec 19, 2011
CT
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Hey Micheal, i can tell you a little about the lump on Slug's cheek, i have several Yellow Napes with the same issue, Too Much Fat!!! ,i can watch the one on my hen Jake's cheek come and go according to diet.Too much people food is her problem, and on the other bird i have to limit sunflower seeds and feed 4% fat pellet or she has them too.Both of these birds are pets that eat too much people food (junk),with the breeder birds that are on a better diet it is not an issue.

Well that is very interesting. He is one special seed diet that my Uncle started him on many years ago due to the vet saying he had a cholesterol problem. I wonder if this "specil" seed diet isthe problem? Sluggie is quite picky about what he will eat and frankly he only eats a certain seed that is in the mix and leaves everything else untouched. He does like people food a lot but we don't give him much people food to all and when we do it is usually only a tiny amount. He does especially like pistachios which I eat almost every night. I don't give him many due to the salt content but frankly I think it is the salt he is really digging because I washed some of the nuts and gave them time himand he didn't want them.

I am still figuring him out it is a learning process and I try very hard to keep him as healthy possible. He is an awful mooch though and he will sit on his cage next to me and *****/moan until I give him something which I usually do by just giving him a very small taste of whatever iam eating to shut him up. That usually works for a short while then I have to go into ignore mode.......... :D

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I bet he's eating mostly sunflower or safflower seeds, isn't he? They are fattening and not nutritious. It would probably be healthier to get him on a lower fat pellet diet. And plenty of vegetables and some fruit. Don't feed him junk food or too many nuts.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I bet he's eating mostly sunflower or safflower seeds, isn't he? They are fattening and not nutritious. It would probably be healthier to get him on a lower fat pellet diet. And plenty of vegetables and some fruit. Don't feed him junk food or too many nuts.

I'll add to that to not be afraid of wasting food to get him to try healthier alternatives. Kazi went through half a butternut squash before he'd eat it, I just had to figure out how Monsieur wanted it prepared :rolleyes: But now it's one of his favorites (especially when I mix chia seed in with it). So don't give up if he won't eat something the first half dozen times you try ;)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Hi, Michael... You've had some beautiful birds over the years...

Welcome to the forums...

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Welcome to the forum, loving the photos very much :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts