Human Woundcare: How do you treat bird bites?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I am currently wearing a band-aid from when my conure bit me, but I really hate wearing bandaids on my fingers because it is like ick when I go wash my hands. I was wondering if I use a product like New Skin or Liquid Skin if that would be okay. I know it is okay for rme but if the birds go near the finger that has the product on it and pick at it or bite it or whatever and pull some off, will it be harmful?

What do you guys typically do for cuts on fingers made by your feathered friends. I am looking for a both a concealer, healer and pain relief.

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I wouldnā€™t put any sort of chemical near my bird personally, just to be safe.

Generally if I get bit I disinfect and wash the area, then cover with a bandage. I know you said it gets wet butā€¦ not much you can do besides regularly change it.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I wouldnā€™t put any sort of chemical near my bird personally, just to be safe.

Generally if I get bit I disinfect and wash the area, then cover with a bandage. I know you said it gets wet butā€¦ not much you can do besides regularly change it.
Not only do bandaids get wet but they also fall off. I really want to use new skin because it stays on. I wish I didn't have to wear bandaids but cuts heal better and quicker when covered.

I guess the only thing I can think of is to only wear bandaids when handling my birds.

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Not only do bandaids get wet but they also fall off. I really want to use new skin because it stays on. I wish I didn't have to wear bandaids but cuts heal better and quicker when covered.

I guess the only thing I can think of is to only wear bandaids when handling my birds.
Have you tried cloth bandaids? I find they stick better than the plastic/latex type. I know the struggle lol, I pick at my hands. You could always try doing both and see if that speeds up recovery.

Are your birds aggressive?? Iā€™m not sure I understand why youā€™re being bitten so harshly. :(

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
No, they are not aggressive, but one is hormonal. The Quaker is not biting me, but she will scream LOL! The Sun bit me Thursday, Saturday and this morning. All on occasions of asking her to step up. She knows how to step up but I guess her biting my finger is a way to say "no". Thankfully, she didn't give me bad bites but I had a teeny bit of blood, nothing compared to Thursday when I bled what seemed like forever. Little stinker got me over a vein. Before last Thursday, I hadn't been bitten by her in two weeks. I thought I was out of the woods but I guess not.

The band-aids are not so much for the severity of the bites, but to protect my fingers when they perch on my hand. Also if she bites my finger in the same spot, it's protected with a bandaid.

What are cloth bandaids?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
No, they are not aggressive, but one is hormonal. The Quaker is not biting me, but she will scream LOL! The Sun bit me Thursday, Saturday and this morning. All on occasions of asking her to step up. She knows how to step up but I guess her biting my finger is a way to say "no". Thankfully, she didn't give me bad bites but I had a teeny bit of blood, nothing compared to Thursday when I bled what seemed like forever. Little stinker got me over a vein. Before last Thursday, I hadn't been bitten by her in two weeks. I thought I was out of the woods but I guess not.

The band-aids are not so much for the severity of the bites, but to protect my fingers when they perch on my hand. Also if she bites my finger in the same spot, it's protected with a bandaid.

What are cloth bandaids?
Oooh, I see ok! Gosh Iā€™m sorry that your babies are acting out! šŸ˜‚

Ah, I gotcha. If you google Band-Aid Flexible Fabric they come up. Itā€™s literally just fabric instead of plastic and I prefer them because they actually stay in place!

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
And this will work for fingers? Cool! I always think of the large cloth bandages that people wrap around their hands or legs.

My girls are not too terrible. My Sun is still sweet as pie through all this. I feel like an idiot, though, because it seems most people who live with suns never get bitten. I have had this girl for 17 years. I am kind of used to the biting, but I have been handling her a lot more because in the past, I always used a portable T perch. So yeah, if you handle your bird more you increase your chances of getting bit. I still use the T perch but also am starting to get more comfortable having her step up on my hand.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Just use new skin. Itā€™ll be fine. I use it occasionally. Itā€™s not like the bird will be picking at your wound.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Just use new skin. Itā€™ll be fine. I use it occasionally. Itā€™s not like the bird will be picking at your wound.
I am not worried about picking. I am afraid that if my Sun bites the spot, she will take it off. She is good at breaking the skin.

Most Reactions