birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
ok so I love Sidney so much I want to make sure I am doing right by him.
I know the cage he is in is on the smal side, but I need to know if it borders on being cruel cuz I in no way would ever want him to be kept like that. For the most part he is in a 16X22 inch cage. I have a 20X20 inch dome top about 40inches at the peak. I know this would be better but it is so much messier as he shoots his poo across my room (which I don't mind cleaning up but greatly aggravates mom) so the smaller cage has a deep tray and splash guards that keep most of the mess in the cage meaning happier parents. I will put him in the larger cage when I am going to be gone for a few days so he isnt' left alone in the smaller one for more than a few hours at a time 8 houes at most every once in awhile. SO am I being cruel by causing him to live in smaller than ideal conditions. Should I figure out a way to always keep him in the larger cage? Please I want your honest responses cuz I want to do right by my baby.
BTW the teils are in the larger cage right now and loving it, but I have lots of different housing options for them.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
(((Kelli))) I know you love your babies! Rule of measure is always the larger the better. Can you (now, it's a given, I am NOT a handy person ... but maybe you are or know someone who is) put up plexiglass panels around your dome-top? That way Sidney can have room to roam and the plexiglass will "catch the poo"! (It might make your parents happy, as well :) ).

:confused:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I agree - bigger is better - even with cages lol

Is he flinging his poop from the top of the domed cage or from anywhere on / in the domed cage? If from the top then yah, a plexiglass poop flinging guard may be the answer.

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
no actually he clings to the side of his cage and squirts is out onto my carpet. (I told mom that's how I know he's a boy) I'll try to see if I can find a compromise.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
no actually he clings to the side of his cage and squirts is out onto my carpet. (I told mom that's how I know he's a boy) I'll try to see if I can find a compromise.

Kelli, if Sidney just poos out the sides, maybe the plexiglass would work on sides and back, leaving the front open for access?

Hoping you can find a solution ... :)

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I don't know how far Sidney is squirting, but is there any way you could just put like a plastic mat underneath/around the cage where the poop goes on the carpet? Like the mats that go under roller chairs near desks and whatnot? Or you could do the plexiglass on the 3 sides like everyone is saying and then a mat on the carpet in front of the cage? Just some suggestions...

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
I have a mat that;s in my "birdy corner" right now I will play around with arrangements and such and see what I come up with. My main question was Do ya'll really think he need to be in the 20X20? I know bigger is better so I will try to do something convenient for both of us but if ya'll really think what he is in is way too small I won't worry about compromise and I will just deal with it to make him happy.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
I have a mat that;s in my "birdy corner" right now I will play around with arrangements and such and see what I come up with. My main question was Do ya'll really think he need to be in the 20X20? I know bigger is better so I will try to do something convenient for both of us but if ya'll really think what he is in is way too small I won't worry about compromise and I will just deal with it to make him happy.

I'm sorry, Kelli, I do think the larger cage would better suit Sidney. I hope you are able to arrange things such that your parents are "ok" with the set-up ... and that, you too, are feeling comfortable as well. :)

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
ok after massive rearanging and closet cleaning and promising mom that I'll wipe up the poo every morning i think I finally figured it out. will post pics tomorrow. I knew in my heart what was best for him I just needed a little encouragement to try and figure out a solution.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm sure he'll be happier in the larger cage, you may also find that he won't be pooping outside the cage when he has more space to move around. Have you tried also putting newspaper down and then gradually moving that closer and then putting it in his cage somewhere, You may find he may just use the paper and not shoot it outside.

Yeah I really do think he's gonna be happier in a larger cage. :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I agree with Minzer - a mat under the cage ... I have clear plastic vinyl shower liners under both the cages and the playstand ... I like this idea over the computer chair mats for 2 reasons - one, they are much larger and can be cut to fit exactly where you need and - two, chair mats $40 (ish) shower liners $8 (ish) :p

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
1 pair of scissors - $5

1 plastic shower curtain - $ 1 (here anyways at the dollar store)

saving your floors from bird poops - PRICELESS

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
will post pics my roller mat cost about 12. Peta he doesn't shoot poo out the small cage only the large one :) this is really rushed life isn't that great right now will post more indepth later.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
will post pics my roller mat cost about 12. Peta he doesn't shoot poo out the small cage only the large one :) this is really rushed life isn't that great right now will post more indepth later.

Kelli, life gets out of sorts and rushed around a bit. You are doing a good job. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Keep your chin up, eh? (((lots of hugs))) :41:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
For those with shower curtains, ... do they wash in the regular clothes washer??? (Do they hold water after the spin cycle?). Just wonderin'.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
For those with shower curtains, ... do they wash in the regular clothes washer??? (Do they hold water after the spin cycle?). Just wonderin'.

I have never washed one ... I just vaccuum and then wash ... if they get really bad ... hey, I have a dollar store around here ... maybe I should check there and save $4

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I wash mine all the time and it comes up great, Use it over and over again and all for £1, ($2 approx) they come in pack of 2. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Well until now I used a big table cloth under the cage, which we wash every second or third day, depending on how dirty Phoebus is going to get it! :p

1 plastic shower curtain - $ 1 (here anyways at the dollar store)

This sounds a much better idea though! :D

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
The shower curtains i am talking about are plastic .... if they get dirty then you could just bring them outside, pin them to a clothesline and hose them clean lol ... real easy. If they are really icky ... get a new one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts