I'm a New Member

ceramickids

May 6, 2017
Parrish Florida
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Good Morning, My name is Cookie and I have a Quaker Parrot, I am also new to having a Quaker. I usually have had love birds which are way different. I have had my quaker since she was 2 months old. She was born in June 22 2016. So she will be having a birthday soon. My Quakers name is Sky, because her colors are White , Gray and Blue. She was a gift from my daughter. Sky is learning how to talk , I only teach her to speak Spanish, I want her to be different. Who ever comes to my home must speak to Sky in Spanish. she says a few words already. To tell you that instead of me being her owner, I believe she owns me. When I first got her she usto step up. Now that she is older she refuses to do it. I don't know what to do with her in order to make her step up again. How it started was that my mistake was to let her come out of the cage by herself. And ever since then she never stepped up again only if she flys to the ground. then she will step up for me to put her on her play gym which is on top of her cage. My routine with her is that everyday when I get home from work the first thing I do is I walk to the cage and open the door and she will greet me with "HOLA' which means Hello. and I will answer her back . I will try to post some pictures of her and soon as I can find my phone cord. I am excited to have found you and to get started. :white1:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums, Cookie and Sky! Your quaker sounds lovely, photos are always welcome.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Cookie and Sky, thanks for a delightful introduction. Yes, parrots often see us as their servants and become quite skilled at manipulation!

Parrots will often choose how to be handled, and Sky's habit of allowing you to "rescue" from the floor is common. I'll post a few links that may help with her training to more reliably step-up on command.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html (disregard the blue link in first post)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
One word. Treats. If you know her favorite treat, now she only gets it when she does what you ask of her. If it was me, I would let her coe to the opening of her cage. And with treat in one hand, place your hand in between her and the treat, so she must step on your hand to get the treat. Do that when she wants to leave her cage, or when she wants to leave her play stand. Eventually it will become second nature to step up when you give her the "step up" command. BE CONSISTENT! Use the same command every time. THats my opinion. Parrots are ruled by their bellies.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello, and welcome!
You'll get great advice and support here. Good for you for reaching out.
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, fotografías, por favor!

OP
ceramickids

ceramickids

May 6, 2017
Parrish Florida
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Thank You so much for your messages. Now I am lost in how to use this forum, I will need time to get around. My question now is How do I get the Link to insert a Picture of Sky. I don't see no attach. and were do I go.?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Most Reactions