in home flight

mrjayd

Jun 10, 2020
Hi All,

I have a 1.5 yr old Hahns Macaw named Buddy. I got him when he was about 3 months old and he was clipped when I got him. I waited all this time for him to molt and grow his new flights feathers in. He actually still has that last outside feather on each side to still fall out but he has been flying for the last few months now. I waited too long for this but now the problem is is that he won't stay and play on his cage, playstand, or perch stands I have around the house. He has to always fly on me. I really want him to have the run of the house during the day when we are home or course, but he just won't stay off me.
I mean its to the point where I am leaving him in the cage most of the day and just letting him out a few times a day just to play with and train him. I mean when he was clipped I could leave the cage open all day and he can climb around and play all day on his cage and things.
I really don't want to clip him again as I waited so long for him to fly and really don't believe in clipping birds.
Any thought on how to get him to start hanging on his cage more so I can keep him out all day while we are home?

Thanks.....JD and Buddy :green2:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When my birds land somewhere that is not good for them I use a duster on a long pole.
All I have to do is move it and they know it's time to leave.

they get the message eventually

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
So I understand more clearly, are you concerned he isn't playing enough, or do you need a little space to get things done?

Do you relocate him to his play stands after he lands on you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions