Indian ringneck seems to having seizure

Reepu

May 22, 2021
Hi

From past few days my indian rigneck appears to doing something with her legs which seems like seizure. A gif has been attached.

Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/2J2Dvou

Do I need to be concerned?

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
the gif doesnt seem to be working, it seems to have converted to a jpg. Anyway you can upload it to imgur and link from there?

OP
R

Reepu

May 22, 2021
the gif doesnt seem to be working, it seems to have converted to a jpg. Anyway you can upload it to imgur and link from there?

Thanks. Added Imgur link in edit..

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Looks like muscle spasms which aren't as serious as seizure but should be taken with caution. These are commonly seen in the eclectus parrot (look up toe tapping and/or wing flapping) and is usually associated to diet. What do you feed your little guy?

edit: I would recommend taking your bird to the vet and having a full bloodwork done to see what his values are at and see if any of that could be affecting it.

Last edited:
OP
R

Reepu

May 22, 2021
Looks like muscle spasms which aren't as serious as seizure but should be taken with caution. These are commonly seen in the eclectus parrot (look up toe tapping and/or wing flapping) and is usually associated to diet. What do you feed your little guy?

edit: I would recommend taking your bird to the vet and having a full bloodwork done to see what his values are at and see if any of that could be affecting it.

Thanks for the response.
I am thinking of taking her to vet.

Grains(wheat,maize), raw quinoa, seeds(melon), lady finger, carrot, polmegranate, peanuts, 1almond, rice(not daily), (little amount)cashew and pistachio . For few days I fed her too much corn (in every meal) which I think triggered it.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
corn is a very common trigger for it in eclectus so hopefully that is the cause here too and its nothing more serious, let us know how the vet goes!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Gif didn't work for me, but if it is seizures, when did you have blood work last? Liver issues can lead to seizures....You can prevent them if you know it is the liver (by adjusting diet etc, but also via LacTUlose (NOT LACTOSE). Excess ammonia can build up in the blood if you have a liver issue in a bird and that can cause seizures-- the lacTUlose (again, NOT LACTOSE!!!) counteracts this....

Most Reactions

Latest posts