OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Corn, unless organic, also falls under one of the GMO foods, too. Who knows what havoc it's wreaking on our bodies, let alone the wildlife!

It really is hard to say if the birds were sick with something and found a food that they could readily eat (i.e. not have to forage for it) so they gorged themselves on it, or if they became sick after eating the corn.
I found this online, it's talking about people though. Maybe if they are stuffing themselves full of corn it is unable to digest? Again, just speculating lol.

Why Undigested Food Is Bad

Besides discomfort, having undigested food in your stomach can lead to more complications. Food can ferment in your stomach, causing bacterial overgrowth. Also, undigested food in the stomach can turn into a mass called a bezoar, which can totally block food from entering the small intestine.

Read more: Undigested Food In Stomach | LIVESTRONG.COM

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, thousands of pet bird owners feed corn to their birds. Fresh/frozen/cooked/dried. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned finding undigested corn in their birds droppings. My birds included.

This is why I mentioned that birds are more capable of digesting it than we are. Or rather, that their bodies are designed to digest grains.

I *love* the taste of corn, and not to be gross, but I can always tell when it passes through my system! And I'm sure other people can as well.

When it comes to birds, well, it all comes out the same! More or less... although, depending on foods, they might have multi-colored droppings! (they have a faster digestive system than we do)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Having been born and raised in Germany, corn was ONLY used to feed life stock- NO kidding! :eek:

When my husband and I were dating, we went for a walk one day and passed a corn field. My husband decided OH YUMMY we can have fresh corn for dinner. I honestly looked at him as if he wasn't right in the head, not to mention my reaction when he actually cooked it and ate it. :eek:

To this day corn does NOTHING for me other than get stuck in all the nooks and crevices of my teeth. :54:

And Monica...I rolled over laughing at your description how it comes back out. The first time I ate enough of it to notice the "after effect", I was utterly confused.

amir

Mar 13, 2013
hi
unfortunatatly there is only versele laga nutribird p15 and kiki pellet available in my country,and versele alga nutribird p15 contains sugar!,should i use them or not? thank you

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Wendy--i didn't know you were born and raised in Germany. Sadly i haven't had the opportunity to do much travelling in my life, but i have been to Germany and Austria. I love Germany.....and LOVE the language (why i went there actually).

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
hi
unfortunatatly there is only versele laga nutribird p15 and kiki pellet available in my country,and versele alga nutribird p15 contains sugar!,should i use them or not? thank you
I would feed nutribird P15, but remember to supplement your bird with fresh foods too. A chop mix is a fantastic thing to make in bulk and freeze for months of use. You can also add local healthy parrot foods. Unless you have a eclectus(if a eclectus food mostly fruit/vegetables and only a little pellet) avoid feeding lots of fruit as they are high in sugar.Fruits are fine to feed, but vegetables should be the bulk.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Hmm corn belongs to the top 10 genetically modified foods to avoid. I don't know how credible the site is that made the list but better safe than sorry I guess.

Anything organic is expensive so Boomer will just get less of the corn but it will be organic at least. Glad I stumbled on this discussion.

Soy as well. Corn, soy, and beet sugar are the three top GMO foods I believe, and canoloa oil. I often see those ingredients in bird food. If it's organic though, it cannot be GMO. Organic corn and soy products do exist.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
A lot of these companies have Menadione in them and it's dangerous to humans and dogs, but they won't remove them from bird diets. It's a synthetic form of Vitamin K and I noticed that some ingredient listings just say "Vitamin K" and not the real chemical, so beware.

More information.

https://companionparrotonline.com/Menadione.html

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Has anyone heard of Ecotrition Complete? That's what I've been feeding for Kiwi

Ingredients:

Corn, wheat middlings, dehydrated alfalfa meal, soybean oil, corn gluten meal, feeding oatmeal, wheat germ, soybean hulls, soybean meal, flax seed, sugar beet pulp, marigold extract, brewers dried yeast, dehydrated carrots, dehydrated celery, dehydrated red beets, dehydrated parsley, dehydrated lettuce, dehydrated watercress, dehydrated spinach, dehydrated egg product, dried kelp, lecithin (emulsifier), rosemary extract, mono-and-diglycerides, citric acid (a preservative), salt, lysine, dl-methionine, sodium selenite, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, magnesium oxide, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement d-calcium pantothenate, niacin supplement, choline chloride, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-biotin, thiamin mononitrate, manganous oxide, copper oxide, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, carmine (color)
Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 17%, crude fat (min.) 7%, crude fiber (min.) 4%, crude fiber (max.) 7%, moisture (max.) 13%, calcium (min.) 0.1%, calcium (max.) 0.7%, phosphorus 0.4%, salt (min.) 0.1%, salt (max.) 0.4%, vitamin A (min.) 3,000 iu/lb, vitamin D3 (min.) 900 iu/kg.

No artificial colors or flavoring.
Photo ~ http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/026851841791C.jpg

In case anyone was/is feeding it. It helped me move Kiwi to pellets, though I'm going to try and get a different kind. Even zupreem is too expensive :(

james12

Jan 18, 2014
Its a great food, nutritious and birds would love it though It took a while for birds to warm up to it, because it was different from their seed food, but afterwards eating it is no problem with them...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow nice pellet research! Awesome job with photos and all! Just wanted to tell you that ;)
Otherwise, I prefer to stay out of conversations about foods or give my opinion on the topic of feeding our birds... Hmm, wonder what Julie thinks? You'll never know hehhehheh :16: unpleasant topic with too much controversy. I'll stay outta trouble instead :54:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Has anyone heard of Ecotrition Complete? That's what I've been feeding for Kiwi

No artificial colors or flavoring.
Photo ~ http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/026851841791C.jpg

In case anyone was/is feeding it. It helped me move Kiwi to pellets, though I'm going to try and get a different kind. Even zupreem is too expensive :(

This is a late post... but personally, I think Ecotrition is crap.

I can actually get Roudybush cheaper than Zupreem, but I know that most people, Roudybush is generally more expensive. I feel as if Roudybush is a better pellet.

Are you purchasing locally or shipping it in?

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Well I read the ingredients and only saw salt. Not sure if it was human grade food or not.
Why is it crap? The birds love it.

Buying local. I'm going to start shipping in some toys, and see if I can't find cheaper food. My Linnie friend feeds roudy bush. Probably could buy like 50lb sacks together... Lol if they sell that big of food (I hope so).

Or 2 20lb sacks... I know they sell those... (Thanks to noble macaw, haha)

On a different note, anyone know any websites that sell bird toys that you can make a wishlist on? I don't see any on most sites...

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
mybirdstore.com has a wish list.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I'm just not a fan of 8in1 products and I'm also not a fan of dyes. IMO, there are better brands out there.

If your birds are healthy though, with no deficiencies or otherwise, it may not matter much at all. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Um, wow? This is so much info all in one place! Thank you so much!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
What do people (and their birds) think of the Kaytee exact brand? Rainbow or others.
I saw it wasn't list on here as human grade but I looked on their website's faq and they claim their ingredients are human and pharmaceutical grade.
Anyone have any insight?
I'm leaning between Kaytee exact and Harrisons. Kaytee is easier for me to get ahold of, I'd have to order harrisons and that's a bit of an adventure if there's no one home to meet the delivery guy around here. I know harrisons is the one I see a lot of people recommend but why should I discount Kaytee?

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
I didn't notice this brand/name:
vitakraft vitasmart complete nutrition conure food

I've done a brief google search and not found much on whats used in it. Any help?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I've done a brief google search and not found much on whats used in it. Any help?

You've got me stomped, too. I looked for a list of ingredients yesterday, and then again this morning....and so far absolutely NO luck. :confused:

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots

You've got me stomped, too. I looked for a list of ingredients yesterday, and then again this morning....and so far absolutely NO luck. :confused:

Vitakraft® VitaSmart Parrot & Conure Food | Food | PetSmart

I figured you'd give it a better formate than I can.

I found it eventually, it does appear to be the only site that lists the ingredients which is a bit odd. Seems to be a bit high in protein, fat and fibre (when I compared to harrisons, Tops, and hagen tropican) and contains dried yeast? Not something I think I've seen in other pellets unless I've not noticed. Someone brought it up in a post and I'd never heard of this brand.

Most Reactions