Is it okay to soak my quaker and cockatiel's pellets?

Njjeppson

Dec 10, 2020
Hello! I've been running out of ideas to convert my quaker and cockatiel to pellets. I've had them for years, so needless to say they're not giving up without a fight. However, I recently found that they like their Zupreem pellets a lot more when they've been soaked in hot water and become a paste. On one hand, this could really help to get them converted. On the other hand, I've heard that wet food can be dangerous for birds. As long as I remove and replace the food at the end of each day, will they be fine?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It can be okay to wet them (assuming you do so properly/safely), but the water should be pure and the mush should not sit out for more than 3 or so hours. Do not supplement on top of this, as they may ingest more vitamins when pellets are soaked, and you don't want to overdose your bird on vitamins (which is easy enough to do).

Your bird very likely fine if your water was from the tap up until now, but do try for purified in the future, as it is much safer (especially if sitting for a few hours). Tap water contains all sorts of junk that is way worse for parrots than humans and it also contains a level of bacteria that (while safe for humans to ingest) is not always safe for parrots. Not to mention things like fluoride and chlorine..

"At the end of each day" is dangerous if you are leaving wet food-- that is a major bacterial risk. 3-4 hours is seriously pushing it (unless it is a hard fruit like an apple that has natural acidity and can stand to sit out for a bit, but even then, not ALL DAY). Do not deliberately acidify foods, as citric acid in fairly low quantities van be harmful if we are talking citrus fruits. I want to emphasize how important it is to not leave wet food in for the whole day. You should never leave wet food out for too long and always wash the food dish with a parrot-safe soap, like basic Dawn.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What method(s) have you used to introduce pellets? Many techniques exist, including moistening with the caveats described by noodles123 above.

Some folks mix with seeds, but smart birds choose what they like and ignore or dump the rest. I had great success transitioning a flock of 8 to Harrison's using their conversion protocol. Previous diet was combo of Zupreem and seeds. Not pushing the brand, but their technique should work with any pellet. https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I need cute pictures of yiur birds!
Are they eating veggies? The more you can get them trying new foods the better they get at new foods.

I will stick pellets in oatmeal, I will stick them in scrambled eggs, or chop.

Here is a great chop article
http://lovinglifefromscratch.blogspot.com/2013/07/chop-all-things-good-for-birdie.html?m=1

This one has good tips on veggies
https://threebirdsandacloud.wordpre...parrot-to-eat-vegetables-or-unfamiliar-foods/

What has worked for me is offering stuff by hsnd. I offered stuff my parrots already eat or love by hand first, many times a day, tgen I start offering stuff by hand that they are likely to like. They will investigate, I font make a big deal if rejected , I just place in their veg bowl. I still offer things by hand that they do eat, and t en I offer new foods by hand. Burds seem to understand food gifts, and offering by hand helps them recognize new food as food. No chasing them with new food, or making a issue if tgey refuses. I feed pellets by hand to.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We use either Tops or Harrison and when we started, we crushed them and add them to a healthy, full spectrum seed mix (no sunflower seed or peanuts for our Amazon). It is important to freeze all dry food to assure that you kill any bugs.

I use two criterial for pellets, No Color added and very low to zero sugar.

As stated above, the Veggies represents the largest segment of the diet, which we service first thing in the morning with dry food available all day.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
We use either Tops or Harrison and when we started, we crushed them and add them to a healthy, full spectrum seed mix (no sunflower seed or peanuts for our Amazon). It is important to freeze all dry food to assure that you tKil any bugs.

I use two criterial for pellets, No Color added and very low to zero sugar.

As stated above, the Veggies represents the largest segment of the diet, which we service first thing in the morning with dry food available all day.

Excellent advice, avoiding artificial color and sugar considerably narrows the choices. Feeding healthy stuff first, just like all-you-can-eat buffets do! Fill the belly with salads and appetizers before moving on to prime rib and fish!

Most Reactions

Latest posts