Is this a safe playgym/playstand? Show me yours.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
What do you think of this playgym from an online birdstore that lots of folks recommend (see link under photo)?

Does anyone have it? My main concern is the metal hardware. The nice folks at the store got the materials info from makers, but it didn't help me at all, because I don't know if this is safe. The bird store specializing in Safe products didn't know what the metal was made of. So they were kind enough to write away for them (which I really appreciate).

Here's what maker said "the hardware is all purpose drywll screws and standard havger bolts."

As far as I know, hardware is usually made of regular steel, which will either get rusty or be coated in zinc nickel or chrome.

The perches are too narrow in diameter, but :) the people who make it for the store said they can make it with larger perches for Pritti (he needs at 3/4" to 1").

So what do you think? Is it totally safe based. I wasn't even going to ask since it was the Safe birdstore... but I'm uber-protective about materials for me and birdy alike. I've looked at sooooo many perches and this double level size and layout is really good for Pritti.

If you want to suggest another multi-level with foraging areas for him to walk on and cups for food, we'd love to know and see. Or, if you make them with stainless materials, please PM me. Thanks.

wannabeaparrot-albums-odds-ends-picture6163-double-decker-gym.jpg

Link to item: Double Decker Play Gym - TABLE TOP PLAY GYMS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Thanks.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
You could make your own, then you will know exactly what is in it. I am planning one myself but I think I am going to use PVC piping instead of wood. Good luck with the hunt. I hope people reply and post pics, its always good to see others creative designs.:)

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
@Aims:
I wish I could make one myself. If I could, I would make the horizontal perches out of all different kinds of natural wood. I'm not able to saw and drill and stuff. Although, I know someone who might make one for me for about $20 labor, or for nothing, if I get all the stuff. I love that idea. Since that one is probably about $75 with shipping, I can just get some nice perches at the local mom & pop bird shop and unfinished wood at big box store.

What will you use for a base? I would like to make the two bases a little larger. Also, any suggestions on how else to put the edging on the bases in a way that will deter Pritti from standing on those edges to poop off side. He always poops off the side of whatever he is on, so maybe something rounded or curved (wood) that is hard to stand on - any suggestions?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I bought the same playgym from MSBS and I am very pleased with it. It was easy to put together all the holes lined up and all the parts were there. I cannot remeber exactley when I bought it but I have had it about a year or so.:)

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
If it comes to you not assembled maybe you could take all the metal hardware and go to home depot or the likes and buy the same size but in stainless. I know that means a few more $ but at least you would have peace of mind. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Riio -- great idea.

Aliray -- glad to hear it's a good thing.

Am still thinking about getting help to make one, but the hardware idea is so helpful.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That is similar to what Boomer has, but his is not multi level. It looks safe to me. I'll post pictures later when I get home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts