Jul 20, 2022
Hey guys :)

So the thing is... I live in Australia and its been really hard to find a good pellet brand that I can actually buy here. I've tried Harrisons, TOP's, Zupreem and Roudybush but they are only available in one or two online stores and have crazy shipping prices. I've seen lots of people here use Vetafarm but I'm not sure if it is a good quality pellet brand or not. They seem to have healthy ingredients and many birds have converted onto Vetafarm with no problems. I'm planning to buy a pineapple conure from a local pet shop near me but they are being put on an all-seed diet. My plan is to gradually change the diet to Vetafarm Nutriblend (+healthy vegetables and grains) first as it has flavour and colouring that might entice my bird to eat it. However, after my parrot has converted, I plan to supplement their diet with Vetafarm Parrot Essentials which contains no dyes and is a much more healthier option long-term.

Is this a good plan or should I consider a different brand to give to my bird?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Well, wheat, corn, and soybean are nothing but fillers, cheap fillers!
Remember, a high quality seed mix is much better than an average pellet!
And what are the really good pellets? A seed mix!
Obviously, Iā€™m a TOPS snob!

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Hey guys :)

So the thing is... I live in Australia and its been really hard to find a good pellet brand that I can actually buy here. I've tried Harrisons, TOP's, Zupreem and Roudybush but they are only available in one or two online stores and have crazy shipping prices. I've seen lots of people here use Vetafarm but I'm not sure if it is a good quality pellet brand or not. They seem to have healthy ingredients and many birds have converted onto Vetafarm with no problems. I'm planning to buy a pineapple conure from a local pet shop near me but they are being put on an all-seed diet. My plan is to gradually change the diet to Vetafarm Nutriblend (+healthy vegetables and grains) first as it has flavour and colouring that might entice my bird to eat it. However, after my parrot has converted, I plan to supplement their diet with Vetafarm Parrot Essentials which contains no dyes and is a much more healthier option long-term.

Is this a good plan or should I consider a different brand to give to my bird?
Iā€™ve use vetafarm, but when I do buy it (admittedly not very often atm) I mix it with the best quality seed mix I can buy. :)

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
That's great! What type of seed mixes do you recommend?
I have 3 cockatiels and 4 budgies so I buy the ā€˜BirdZone cockatiel blendā€™ itā€™s around $24 from petstock so a bit pricey when you have to buy it as often as I do, as I have quite a few birds I do also buy a cheaper budgie mix that I mix in with the BirdZone blend to make it stretch a bit further. As well as occasionally buying the pellets to mix in also.
:)

Most Reactions