It has been 35 days since she laid her first egg but babies have not come out.

shethv

Dec 21, 2016
She laid her first egg on 22nd December.
She has laid total of 3 eggs .
She is incubating them .
Babies have not come out yet .
what should I do ?:confused:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I am assuming she mated with a male,correct??
I think they should have hatched by now..sounds like they are infertile.

It might be time to remove them and replace them with "fake" eggs..she'll lose interest soon enough.

Jim

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
We used to look at eggs with a flashlight right up against them - actually it was a box with a light inside and a hole in it, my dad had a poultry operation for a short time, it was called egg candling. You can see if the egg is fertile or not. Silversage has some good videos showing an example, look for a post about six day beating heart.

OP
S

shethv

Dec 21, 2016
Sorry for late update . I had removed eggs on 27th January . did a candle test. They were infertile . so I disposed them. cleaned meeting box.

BUT now they have started mating again . Will the new set of eggs be also infertile or there are high chances of them to be fertile ?:33:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It all depends. There are some pairs that have one of two infertile clutches before the eggs are fertile. There is a possibility also that both birds may be the same sex and therefore would not produce a fertile egg. Or perhaps the male never learned how to mate properly, and isn't really getting the job done, if you know what I mean. lol

OP
S

shethv

Dec 21, 2016
It all depends. There are some pairs that have one of two infertile clutches before the eggs are fertile. There is a possibility also that both birds may be the same sex and therefore would not produce a fertile egg. Or perhaps the male never learned how to mate properly, and isn't really getting the job done, if you know what I mean. lol
I have a confirmed male and female pair . it can be that male never learned to mate properly . I hope this time it would be fertile eggs :21:

Most Reactions